Scroll One • The First Encounter

Chapter One

His eyes fluttered open, his gaze scanning the white hospital room with slight confusion. A migraine caused a moan to slip through Sasuke Uchiha’s lips as he rested his head against the various pillows that lay beneath him. He turned his head, his gaze lingering out of his window as he watched the cloudless sky outside. The bright sun lite the entire room, announcing daybreak as the sun slowly drifted higher into the sky. A bird was perched on the windowsill, chirping and watching the boy through beady eyes. The young Uchiha used his elbows to push himself into a sitting position; a few minor scratches covered his face and arms, but other than that, he had healed quite nicely since encountering Zabuza Momochi in the Land of Waves. He lowered his gaze onto his lap; Sasuke didn’t want to admit it, but he wouldn’t have been able to defeat Haku if it hadn’t been for Naruto Uzumaki interfering. A sly smirk passed over his lips at the thought. It seemed the runt wasn’t as useless as he had thought.

However, he needed to train harder and gain power much faster than the rate he was going at. Sasuke was barely able to handle a missing-nin on his own, so how did he expect to take out his older brother, who was also known as a prodigy of the Uchiha clan? A knock brought Sasuke back to his senses and away from his dark thoughts as he lifted his onyx gaze to stare at the medical Jounin who stood at the doorway. A small smile played on her lips as she walked over towards the bed, writing something down on a clipboard before settling her gaze on the Uchiha. She handed Sasuke a sheet of paper, a look of confusion settling across his features. “These are your discharge papers. Feel free to take your time in getting ready, but make sure you hand this to the secretary at the front desk before leaving.”

Understanding the simple task, Sasuke gave a small curt of his head. The medical Jounin left the room without another word, leaving the boy to fend for himself. He slowly slipped his legs over the edge of the bed, his body still sore from the injuries he had sustained. Sasuke caught sight of his clothes on a wooden chair in the corner of the room, and he slowly trotted over to the chair. He slipped the medical gown over his shoulders, dressing in his usual attire which consisted of a blue shirt with white trousers. Sasuke tied his weapons pouch around his right thigh, lifting his gaze and noticing a cloud of smoke that tarnished the blue sky.

His onyx gaze narrowed as he neared the window; the smoke was coming from one of the small villages outside of the Hidden Leaf. Sasuke believed the smoke to be the result of a forest fire and thought nothing of it as he grabbed the discharge papers. He slid the door open and exited the hospital room, not bothering to look over his shoulder as the smoke in the sky grew darker and thicker with every passing minute. Sasuke trotted down the crowded hallway, gently holding the papers within his long fingers. A plain expression dominated his features as he kept his thoughts to himself; however, a glint of curiosity flashed through his eyes as he noticed the panic that was instilled with the medical shinobi of the hospital. “What’s going on?” Sasuke muttered as he stopped at the front desk to discover that no one was sitting behind it.

Sasuke Uchiha dropped the papers on the desk, stuffing his hands deep in his pockets as he decided to make his way home. He had a long journey to and from the Land of Waves, and all he wanted was to get some sleep in his own bed. Before he could take another step towards the exit in the lobby, the doors slammed open. Alarmed by their sudden appearance, Sasuke stepped away from the medical shinobi as they brought in several injured people on stretchers. The young Uchiha immediately spotted his Sensei among the crowd of shinobi that were aiding the medical squads. “Kakashi Sensei, what’s going on here?” Sasuke asked as he pushed aside the fact that his body was still recuperating; the Uchiha made his way over to his Sensei, taking note of the unconscious man that Kakashi carried in his arms.