When Everything's Made to be Broken

[This is one of the hardest things I’ll write for a long time, because normally when I write, I don’t have tears in my eyes and memories flooding through my brain that I would prefer to forget. Sadly, that’s not how things work, but these bad times are what shape us into the people we are. I don’t regret anything, because I would not be the person I am today otherwise. So enjoy, comment, please vote, share your opinions.

Dedicated to MikoMay because she is awesome, a great friend and the one whom inspired me to write this story in the first place. She understands how something in love can not always go your way, and how hard that can be. Go check out her work, it's truly addicting to read. Love ya.]

“What’s wrong with you?” my friend Jazmine teased in our math class the following Monday. I was covering my mouth in an attempt to hide a long, drawn out yawn. I froze for a second and averted my eyes away from her.

“Nothing, I just didn’t get much sleep this weekend.” Not a total lie.

She rolled her large, chocolate eyes and chuckled softly, returning to her equations.

~~~

[Fast-forward: March 26, 2010, 1:00 AM]

I was sprawled across the carpeted loft floor on my stomach, legs bent in the air and swinging from side to side as my phone vibrated. Devin and I were invested in planning mode again, working out a mission to see each other once the sun was due to rise. I told him that both my parents would be at work, my mother at the inner city high school and my father downtown, by seven in the morning, and he agreed to wake me up by then. My parents would be at work until late afternoon, but Devin’s stepfather was going to stay home in the afternoon to out his little brother’s bed together. We were restricted to about two hours and that was it. Disappointed as I was, it was better than that, and any time we got to spend together was well worth it.

I fell asleep with a wide smile painted across my face, phone on the floor next to the twin bed with volume turned up to full blast.

~~~

Devin wasn’t kidding when he said he would send a wake up call at seven AM. Right at seven, I shot up out of bed, gasping and cursing to myself at the loud beeping coming from the floor. Placing a hand on my heart until it resumed a regular pattern, I reached down and pressed the button to open the newest message.

“Good morning,” Devin greeted, probably fully aware that I was still in a deep slumber as he typed.

Rolling my eyes and cracking a smile, I responded with the same greeted and reluctantly swung my legs over the edge of the bed.

“So what do you want to do today?” he asked (I can’t remember all the grammar errors in his texts).

“Doesn’t matter to me,” I responded, standing up and stretching my back out before heading over to the closet.

The phone beeped again and I let out a loud bellow at his response.

Ah, that’s my guy and his weird sense of humor.“Alright, let’s go skinny dipping,” he joked.

“Not what I meant,” I replied seriously, even though I was still laughing to myself as I analyzed the contents of my closet.

“Lol can’t blaim a guy for trying.” (I do remember him misspelling the word ‘blame’).

I tossed the device down on the bed and picked up the first outfit that seemed halfway decent, being that I was too tired and lazy to adequately plan my apparel.

“So when are you gonna be ready?”

I held the clothes over my shoulder and sighed, typing a response with one hand. “I just woke up, give me a few minutes.”