Return to Glandledale

The vice champion crouched on the warehouse's roof as he watched group after group of Vackzilian's men teleport in. He clenched his fist. He had tried everything he could think of to stop the blood oath, but the distorted creature was too smart and too strong. If he hadn't fought him head-on himself, he would've never believed that someone could be that powerful.

Once again, the polished, circular slab of gray stone lit up and became translucent as millions of magical runes and symbols reflected and refracted light throughout it. The multi-colored lights lit up the darkened sky, adding to the soft yellow glow from the full harvest moon. Another group of thirty-odd men appeared on the teleportation stone's surface, and the vice champion ground his teeth in frustration.

I have to do something! he thought as he crawled away from the edge of the roof and stood to his feet. Hundreds of people had died in the monstrous demon's first attack. If it hadn't been for the amazing sun spell...

He shook his head; he didn't want to think about what might've happened... or what still could happen. He swallowed hard.

Taking off his mask, he ran his hand through his thick brown hair, letting his locks fall over his ears. "Think, Tairex Havanger. Think!" he muttered to himself. "There's got to be something you can do."

But as he pondered the situation, the only thing that came to mind was retrieving Alf and his friends. The supernova spell had to have come from them, which meant there was a high chance they could actually help. Of course, fetching Alf would mean Zaphaniea would be left to fend for herself. The thought of her being chased down by these horrid creatures all by herself sent shivers down his spine. On the other hand, if she came back with them and Vackzilian found out, he might just send even more men!

There was thousands of noncombatants still at the arena ...

Tairex put his mask back on.

We'll just have to take that chance! he decided as he ran to the edge of the warehouse and jumped down.

Landing lightly on his feet, he crouched and closed his eyes. Alf is headed for the Eastern gate. I'm at the southwest end of the city, which means... Tairex went over his mental map of the city and nodded to himself as he planned his route, adding an extra pit stop along the way. Coming to his feet, he took off sprinting, and the world blurred around him as he focused on weaving through Glandledale's streets without smashing into random buildings.

As he came to the town square, he skidded to a halt, loose gravel and pavement flying as his feet smashed into them. The city square looked desolate without a soul in sight, something Tairex had never seen before. Stores and stands had been left open, their produce and merchandise left unattended. Silence permeated the streets, and long shadows cast themselves across the walkways. He had planned to warn them about the army gathering at the teleportation stone, but it looked like someone else already had. "I hope they found someplace safe," he whispered to himself and took off.

Passing the arena, he weaved and dodged through the festive remains scattered throughout the plaza. Then, reaching open road, he poured on speed till he saw the blurred outline of Alf outside the Eastern gate, several hundred feet down the main highway.

There they are!

He stamped his right foot into the flagstone, sending a ripple down the road and bringing him to complete stop several feet in front of the group.

The blur faded away; the world came back into focus, and he grinned as he noticed the young boy from earlier was hanging on Alf's arm and practically screaming something about not going.