Instant Death

Out of nowhere, a loud clapping echoed throughout the crater, and a familiar voice sent shivers down Alf's spine as it said, "Yes. Well Done. Well done indeed."

Alf swung his head towards the large ramp portion of the crater and froze in horror. Vackzilian himself walked down its length and towards them.

The breath caught in his lungs as he stared in total disbelief at the man that had single-handedly brought all of Alfireá to its knees. The usurper had changed since the day Alf had been killed by him. His once slender, gaunt form was no more: his cheeks had filled out; his formerly pale, white skin now gleamed with bronze ruddy youth, as if he had somehow gained years of his life back, and glowing magical runes ran all the way up and down his toned, muscular arms. Ebony black hair flowed down his back, over a sleeveless, onyx leather breastplate, and fell to his waist, fading into dark grey wisps of smoke that slowly curled around him. Dark leather armor clung to his well-muscled physique, replacing the wizard robe he had once worn all those weeks ago, and a pair of obsidian bracers adorned his wrists while the imperial, dragon scaled cape hung around his waist, clearly showing his blatant disrespect for its former bearer.

Gone was the gaunt hermit wizard that had plagued an empire. Instead, before them stood an emperor clad for war.

The Emperor took another casual step towards them, an evil light shining out from behind his topaz eyes, and his dark and immensely powerful presence washed over Alf, squeezing his heart in an icy grip. Alf's limbs stiffened as he was petrified in fear.

Mr. Havanger yanked The Energizer out in front of him and yelled in exertion as he expanded the shield around them.

Vackzilian glanced at the older man through the golden shield then raised his hand and clenched his fist. The barrier shattered, and Rex's father fell to his knees. Vackzilian turned his attention back to the rest of the group. His right eyebrow raised in interest. "You were most impressive. If I had not been watching myself, I would have a hard time believing it. My Empire could use people like you."

Olivia shot to her feet and shouted, "We will never swear a blood oath to you."

Vackzilian's icy gaze fell on Olivia and she froze as if he had cast a powerful paralyzing spell on her. "You're a rather feisty one, aren't you?"

Alf smashed his still wounded left hand into the melted ground. Pain rocketed up his arm, piercing into his brain and freeing him from his paralyzing fear. He grabbed his sword, jumped to his feet, and stepped defensively in front of Olivia.

A hint of a smile cracked Vackzilian's face, and he continued to speak. "Still, I see why you would not want to be turned into something like my now dead and rather useless commander here." He waved at the beheaded Dy'Ixion.

"So I have an offer for you." Vackzilian ran his eyes over the group. "You see, I'm looking for someone to be the general over my armies, but they have to be strong and able to think for themselves. My blood oaths are just not cut out for the job. You, on the other hand, Alf I believe it is?" he look directly at Alf, "not only killed my most powerful blood oath, you also helped kill two others, if I'm not mistaken." He stared deep into Alf's eyes and said, "You are exactly what I'm looking for in a general."

Alf held his stare, his eyes full of defiance, but said nothing.

"If you agree, I will leave the city in peace, and you can give all these people here any position you desire in my army."

Alf didn't blink.

"And to sweeten the deal, I will give you the girl as a concubine." He waved at Olivia and Alf gasped.