Punish A Muslim, Love A Muslim

Start from the beginning

The government says that from 2013 to 2017, hate crimes nearly doubled in England and Wales, and those motivated by religious hatred nearly quadrupled. Organizations that monitor extremist groups say that far-right violence, in particular, is on the rise.

Anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim views have increased in the wake of a series of terrorist attacks in Britain and other parts of Europe, and helped fuel the 2016 vote in Britain to leave the European Union. Last week, the leaders of the anti-Muslim extremist group Britain First, which has drawn widespread attention, were convicted of hate crimes and sent to jail.

Muslims in several parts of the country began receiving the "Punish a Muslim Day" letter last week, according to the police and anti-hate groups, which noted similarities to threatening letters sent to mosques and individuals last year.

The packages were sent to British officials at their offices in Whitehall Palace, where Parliament meets, and some offices were evacuated and sealed off on Monday and Tuesday, when the first three parcels were opened. Some contained a sticky irritant, and several staff members were taken to hospitals as a precaution, but a parliamentary spokesman said the substance was found not to be harmful.

In Parliament on Wednesday, Mrs. May denounced what she called "unacceptable and abhorrent behavior, which has no place in our society."

LOVE

A British Muslim activist is trying to turn around an anti-Muslim hate campaign that's mailing letters to addresses across the U.K.

Shahab Adris, an activist from Leeds, is encouraging interfaith allies to shower Muslims with love after racist "Punish a Muslim" letters began showing up in mailboxes and calling on people to terrorize British Muslim communities with violence.

Adris' "Love A Muslim" letter mimics the format of the "Punish a Muslim" campaign. But instead of acts of violence, it urges acts of kindness. For example, the letter assigns 10 points for smiling at Muslims, 25 points for buying Muslims coffee with cake, 500 points for fasting with Muslims during Ramadan, and 1,000 points for raising funds to help needy residents of Iraq or Syria.

Adris, a regional manager for the advocacy group Muslim Engagement And Development, said he felt "compelled to put something totally positive out there in response to the original vile letter."

"It's crucial to rid our society from anti-Muslim popular attitudes and the best way we can do this is by engaging and enjoying each other's company," Adris told HuffPost in an email. "There is so much we can learn from each other and together we can make our communities a more welcoming and tension-free environment."

British Muslim communities have been alarmed by the "Punish a Muslim" letters reportedly sent to people across the U

British Muslim communities have been alarmed by the "Punish a Muslim" letters reportedly sent to people across the U.K., including at least three Muslim politicians. The letters assign points for terrorizing Muslims on April 3 ― from 25 points for pulling Muslim women's headscarves, to 1,000 points for bombing a mosque.