"I'll hold the fort down." Danielle said with a little laugh. "But Meg, Louis, and Liam are going to take you out for a while." 

"So go change, squirt." Liam kissed my head, making me blush, as I rushed back to my room to get ready for the day.

* * * 

"IT IS SO COLD. OH MY GOSH." I screamed, stepping only a foot into the snow with my boots. "I CAN'T DO THIS."

"YOU'VE BEEN INSIDE THIS WHOLE WEEK." Louis yelled up at me from the cars that were parked on the further side of the hill.

"BECAUSE OF THIS."

Meg shut the front door behind her, with Liam jogging out before her. She laughed softly before throwing another sweater over my head and handing me my favorite coat. "Just like old times, huh?" She met my eyes as she did all the buttons, from top to bottom. Strangely, I let her. "Always having to dress you." 

I smiled too, watching her delicate fingers slip the buttons quickly through each hole before stopping at the second to last one. She slid some gloves onto my hands and adjusted the beanie that rested on my head.

"You need a scarf." She said, her eyes widening. She started to look back at the front door, but instead unwrapped the green tartan one from her neck and wrapped it around my own. "There."

"Thanks, Mum." I snorted.

"You're welcome, E - " Meg froze when she stood up erect, a snowball on the back of her jacket. Some of the ice slipped inside, and I could tell it had run down her back. I bit back a laugh. "Just a moment." She whispered, before turning around. "Okay, who threw that one? Do I even need to ask?"

Both of the boys looked guilty, but Louis hands had traces of ice on his hands. Meg smirked, rolling a ball in between her hands and walking towards the boys slowly. It only took her a minute before she launched the snowball at Louis, and the fight had began.

Meg and I teamed up to take on the guys and just as much as the ice was flying, their was laughter and squeals flying from both sides. We got into the car, completely out of breath, and our clothes a little damp, but acting half our ages was just what we needed in that moment.

Louis drove us into town and there was a ton of little stores and outlets. A little further down was a mall, which surprised me greatly. We decided to get something to eat first, and we shuffled into a cozy, little cafe. There was a fire going and the dark color scheme made everything seem warmer. Liam said the words, "Table for four" and for some reason, I liked the sound of that.

I slid into a booth with Louis and we shared a menu, both pointing at whatever sounded good. He made bad jokes and did everything he could to make me laugh. I felt like I was ten years old again, and that made my heart feel happy. I ordered French Toast with powdered sugar and tea. I did not even pull out my phone. 

Liam and Meg started to embarass each other, talking about when they first met and even all the events in between. Louis jumped in and started to dote on her. She did the same, making me laugh. 

"Ellie. First opinions on Louis." Liam said quickly, taking me by surprise. 

"Oh. Easy. He acts like he's five years old, but he's so much taller than me." I exaggerated, even squinting my eyes, before breaking out into a laugh. "And why is he staring at my sister like that?"

Louis shook his head with a laugh. "All from the mind of a small child." He clapped, making everyone laugh. 

"I was brutally honest. And very confused." I laughed a little more as everyone agreed. We went around the table, recalling good days, and even some of the bad until our food arrived. Liam had brought up a hard question, and Meg and I simulataneously tensed. 

He asked what Christmas was like before he met us. Meg and I sort of squirmed. 

"Rough." I said honestly, staring at my unfinished meal. "Sometimes, Walter would be there. Other times, Mum would take him out."

"But usually that was to holiday parties, where there was alcohol, so that did not help much." Meg joined in. "She had good intentions, but sometimes she was not even in her right mind."

She met my eyes slowly. "But, I think I speak for Ellie too, we're just really glad to be out of that toxic relationship."

"Absolutely." I said, with a heavy sigh.

Louis wrapped me up into a big hug as I felt tears prickling at my eyes. "I-I'm okay, Lou." I managed to whisper into his neck. 

He pulled away with a small nod. He fixed my beanie a little bit, pulling the top a little over my head so it fit better. "You're safe with us, kiddo." 

He looked at me with tender eyes, and I remembered the day when I accidentally called him dad. I never thought anyone could fill up that empty hole in my heart, but with a little help from Liam, he managed to make the pain easier to bear. 

"I know." I said. "Heck, you all saved me twice."

Meg's eyes were getting teary and Liam nodded with the most reassuring smile.

"I just love you all very much." I found my smile growing wider as my eyes started getting heavy with bittersweet tears. "I really do."

"Here's to us." Liam raised his cup of coffee as Meg giggled. "Here's to nontoxic relationships and for more safe holidays to come."

We all clinked our warm drinks together, and each took a sip, feeling the warm run down from our fingers to our toes.

As we were walking out, I found Meg's hand in my own. It seemed to take her by surprise, but she did not pull away or give me a funny look. She just squeezed my hand back, giving me a warm smile.

"I think this is one of the best Christmases that I have ever had."