Chapter Nineteen

Intricate symbols made a perfect circle around where I now stood in the center of the basement. All were powerful witch runes meant to help aide my father in whatever terrible idea he had come up with. "Blood magic is forbidden," I heard myself whisper.

"Riley!" Shane slowly traced his way around the outside of the circle, much like a Lion pacing. He made a move to step over the ring of symbols and hissed in paid as he moved back away from the outer ring. "What have you done?" Shane seethed as he turned to our father. 

The smirk that pulled at his lips had chills racing down my spine. "Calm, down. I'm merely keeping her contained at the moment. I haven't begun the actual spell," he said with a wave of your hand. 

Shane growled as his eyes traced over many of the ancient runes that had been carved into the circle and were now filled with blood. "You promised your wouldn't hurt her!" 

"Yes, I did." He agreed without any hint of remorse. "But, seeing as how you have been of no help, my son. Your sister must now help the family live on." He shrugged as if it mattered not before pulled a crumpled, yellowed paper from his pocket. 

"How could you do this?" I cried as I began to shake with fear. I knew I was going to die. Blood magic was powerful and terrible magic that had long since been forbidden. It worked on the power of blood - the life source of all living creatures - and stole from the host. Blood magic was powerful, painful, and dangerous. It was especially difficult to preform on family, but because my blood was so different from my father's, I knew he would succeed. 

I immediately pushed all thoughts from my head and called for Shane. "Listen to me, Shane. When this is all over I need you to do something for me. Tell Alexander that I love him and that I'm sorry for all for all of this. Tell him what's happened." Shane had begun to shake his head, tears of guilt filling his eyes. "Shane," I pleaded. "Listen! I don;t care about any of this. Just promise me you will get that message to him." 

I didn't wait for his response. 

I turned on my heal, using all my strength to as I sprinted and threw one of my daggers directly towards my father. He simply sidestepped the twirling breath. I cursed under my breath before trying to push through the barrier knowing it was pointless. Pain erupted in my veins just beneath the skin of my left hand as I pushed against the barrier. I knew this spell. I was going to die. All because my father was a selfish asshole. 

The stairs creaked and I didn't have to look to know that Shane had ran from the room. I really needed him to relay my message to Alexander. He was going to be so mad that I had managed to get myself killed after I promised him I would come back. I think a part of me knew I wouldn't becoming back though. 

"Good, now we can begin." 

I grimaced as my father began to recite the spell written on the tattered paper. Almost immediately, pain erupted in my skull. I dug my heels into the compacted dirt floor and forced myself to remain balanced. I ground my teeth and turned my hard, silver glare onto my father. The man soon to be responsible for my death. 

Using my own dagger, he continued to chant - his voice having taken on a thicker accent I no longer recognized - and slashed at the air causing a gash to open on my forearm. A small whimper escaped my mouth before I fell to my knees, causing even more blood to pour from my body. I watched in horror, unable to move, as my blood began to fill in more hidden runes. I recognized the word for power among my father's chanting before I slumped over. 

Alexander's point of view