Chapter Fourteen

"Ow," I complained, rubbing the new sore spot on my backside. I was really glad I didn't bruise like I used to or I would have been completely black and blue by now.

"Better," Alec said with a smirk. "Now, try it again." He threw me the set of deadly sharp daggers as long as my forearm that he had managed to knock from my hand a moment before.

We were leaving for the Council tomorrow and I had been training since the ball. Alexander, Alec, Maddie, and the king all wanted to be sure I would be able to handle myself. The vampires were worried my brother and my father would try something and wanted to be sure I was ready. Maddie was more concerned with the castle filled with strange vampires, even if I was one now as well. It had been decided that I would spend most of the time before we left training.

The daggers felt a little odd in my hands. They weren't uncomfortable, I had been training with them for too long now for that. I was still just a little unused to having something so dangerous in my hands. It was also a little reassuring at the same time. At first, I had thought it was odd to be using such outdated weapons, but they explained vampires had a distinct dislike of guns. Alec called my name and nodded, signaling that I was free to attack.

I twisted the daggers in my hands so that they faced the ground. I used my extra speed that came with having Original blood and passed Alec so that I faced his back. Before he could turn, I nocked his legs out from under him. Like before, Alec grabbed my arm to pull me down with him. This time, however, I managed to land on top of him. I knelt of his chest with both the daggers at either side of his throat. One quick motion and I knew I could cut his head from his body.

Alec's eyes widened in surprise, but a smile pulled at his lips. "Good job, Riley. You're improving quickly." I laughed and removed my daggers. I stood and offered Alec a hand before pulling him up.

"Well done, princess." Both Alec and I turned to find King William standing behind us. He clapped his hands and sent us both proud smiles. Alec and I quickly inclined our heads as a sign of respect. Will waved us off and I noticed he was dressed unusually. He had abandoned his dress clothes for a pair of fitted sweat pants and an Under Armour compression shirt. He twirled a wooden stake through his fingers as he spoke. "Now that you've managed to best both my son and Alec, do you think you could take me on?"

I involuntarily took a step back and swallowed hard. Will was king for a reason. He may have been kind and fair, but I had read enough stories to know that he was an extremely good fighter and I really didn't think I stood a chance. Before I could think of a way to decline, the king moved and disappeared in a flash.

How I knew he would be behind me, I'm not sure. I ducked just as his hand reached out to grab onto air where my shoulders had just been. It was like the king was moving in slow motion even with his vampire speed. I rolled to the side and jumped back to my feet. I tightened my grip on the daggers and kicked hard. My foot made contact with Will's chest, the expression on his face let me know he was surprised I had been able to move so quickly. He stumbled back which gave me enough time to dash behind him and land another kick. This one sent him to his knees. I stood behind him with my daggers crossed over the front of his neck. He dropped the stake and barked out a laugh.

I blinked a few times as if I had just woken up from a dream and stepped back as the world caught up to me. Will got to his feet on his own before clapping me on the shoulder. "Very good. I don't believe anyone will be getting any sort of surprised in on you very easily." He chuckled as he rubbed at the spot on his chest where my first kick had landed.

Alexander and Maddie had joined Alec and were now standing to the side of the garden where we had just fought. Both Alexander and Maddie were staring with wide eyes and open mouths while Alec's eyes were slightly widened. "Riley. That was seriously impressive. I don't think anyone has ever bested my dad before." Alexander rushed to pull me into a warm hug.