Chapter 4

{I've been thinking of uploading my first book, The House of Bells, so ya'll can read it and get the whole story about Essences. The concept can be a bit confusing, but it is soooo long. Even in book format, it's over 400 pages, and to tell you the truth, I really want people to buy the darn thing. The ebook can be purchased from Lulu.com. However, I really want to share it. If you have any input on the idea, let me know.

Also, the second part of the series is The Summer of Bells, and I'd like to share that one with you as well. But, though it's finished, it's not really polished yet. More input on that is welcome also.

On a side note, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!! Yea! I'm like OLD. But I still feel young, which is kind of weird in it's own way. Anyway, here's more of Ashley.}

Chapter 4

It was late. Min secluded me in her apartment (which is really a two-car, converted garage in the back of the house) and paced.

She hasn't said much since "Adam" arrived this afternoon and ate dinner with us. Amber didn't look too happy with him, either. And as much as I would have enjoyed rubbing in her face the fact that I have a "boyfriend," I just couldn't get past my feeling of betrayal.

Sis has been taking care of me since I was born...even when we still lived with our mom (who, if you haven't figured out from the fact that we were in FOSTER CARE, wasn't really a mother). Pure hurt flashed in her eyes when Adam introduced himself to everyone. Only Min knows what he really is, and Amber got the "we're just friends" bit, but the pain was there nonetheless.

"Why you?" Min finally stopped pacing and glared at Adam. He kept his teenage boy appearance, and smirked at her.

"Now Need..." he began, and Min cut him off, "It's Min. I'm not that being anymore."

"Of course," he said, still smirking. "Why not me?"

"You're PROVOCATION! Ashley may be too young to understand what that means, but I'm not."

I sat up straighter. I wasn't a dummy. I knew the meaning of provocation. It means "to provoke."

Okay, maybe I shouldn't use a form of the word in the definition...it doesn't really explain it, does it? Provocation. "To anger or enrage...to incite or stimulate..."

Oooh, that sounds fun.

Min kept ranting. "What's wrong with Protection...or Refuge...or Stability... Why you?!"

I kept my hands clasped in front of me, a tiny smile tickling the corners of my mouth. Really, Min? Doesn't she know anything about teenagers? Those three aspects don't really go hand in hand with hormones and puberty.

Adam sensed my amusement and grinned at me. "In this situation, I'm perfect. Ashley will need someone to watch over her when she's not at home. I'm perfect."

Min calmed...or rather forced calm to her features. "How about we just get back to that situation."

"Fine with me," Adam said. "But we really should wait on the others."

The others: Belle (The Essence of Love, and Min's best friend) and Phil (Friendship and our liaison to the other Essences). Harlan (Balance) should be here, since this affects him, too, but he's been exiled to the spiritual realm for the time being.

On cue, Belle and Phil arrived, gradually solidifying with a shimmering mist before Min. You will never get a chance to see how they do that, but trust me...it's amazing!

"Greetings," Phil said in his silky voice that just dripped with all things smooth and wonderful...like warm honey fresh from the hive...

"Hi, Phil," I piped up and smiled at Belle.