THE OBSTACLES IN THE SORCERER'S STONE FORESHADOW THE REST OF THE SERIES

In this theory, the obstacles that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had to get through in order to find the sorcerer's stone in the first novel are actually a road map for what's to come for the troublesome trio, showing the many problems that they will face throughout their time at Hogwarts. The first trouble they have to face is the Devil's Snare, a plant very similar to the Whomping Willow that Harry and Ron get caught in the second book. The second trouble is the broom and winged keys, which are symbolic of the Quidditch match where Harry is attacked by Dementors in Prisoner of Azkaban. The third is the life-size chess match, stylized like a graveyard— a puzzle leading up to death, similar to the maze in Goblet of Fire that, you guessed it, ends up with Harry in a graveyard. The next obstacle is a troll, just like Gwarp who appears in the fifth novel. The next is a potion puzzle, which is reflected in the sixth book's emphasis on potions teacher Professor Slughorn and the half-blood prince's potions book that Harry finds. Finally, Harry finds himself face to face with Voldemort, just like he does in Deathly Hallows.