Chapter One

Nico

Just as I thought I couldn't fall for him any more, I heard him sing.

It was... I mean the song itself was very depressing. But gods, it was a memorial, what else do you expect? It's grieving.

The others almost didn't come. Piper, Hazel, Frank, Jason, and Leo. And then, Reyna and whatever else. It's not like they knew these people. It was people from the Second Titan War. Which was...

A lot.

But they showed up. Just in time to hear this. To see the names.

There was a list of names that people lost because of this certain conflict. Of Kronos rising.

It covered the walls. Photos with names. And Bianca was the first name. She was the first to die because of this.

That happened 2½ years ago.

It felt like a lifetime ago.

Leo

I've never seen this place so quiet when compared to when the music was stopped and everyone was looking around. Just slightly chatter. But that's it.

We found Nico standing in front of a small shrine. We hadn't gotten to victim names yet. It was a lot of names.

Before we can reach him, Percy does. I think this is the first time I've seen Percy wear all black.

"Hey," Percy said, earning Nico's attention from behind. "You doing okay?"

That had our attention.

"Yeah." Nico told him, and it's like they never argued. It's almost like they were friends. "I uh... I'm managing. She got accepted to go through, so... It was her second try. Dad was going to tell me more, but I didn't want to know. I can't visit her anymore but I'll manage, I think."

"You will," Percy promised him, rubbing his back. "Trust me, whether you realise it or not, you've been doing a lot better lately. Even with Tartarus. I think Hazel helped."

"Maybe," he responded, thinking for a moment. "I think it's more than just her because of a lot of things, she just kind of got me back out there. Without her, you would probably be my only friend still."

That threw us off, because two weeks ago, Nico was like pissed the fuck off with Percy and it's not like they ever talk.

"Annabeth." Percy joked, nudging him and he must've rolled his eyes.

"I still find that hilarious." Nico remarked and crossed his arms. "One day they'll find out. Until then, I'll just hold my breath."

"Yeah. Well, if you ever need me, I'm here. I'm going to look around a bit more, though, alright?"

Nico agreed that that would be a good idea and he left the area, went to the food area I think. So we walked to where he had been standing earlier.

It was his sister's shrine.

Words can't begin to describe how bad I felt for Nico. It's not like we treated him the best. Piper, Frank, and I are genuinely afraid of him and he knows that. We've told him that. He scares Hazel and Jason, too. But Hazel is his sister and Jason is like his only friend. So nothing was ever said.

We thought he was going to like go home tonight. Everyone leaves tonight outside of a few people. But I mean... This doesn't mean his mom is dead. Not at all.

But shit.

After the memorial, I found Nico walking around, and I ran up to him.

"Nico!" I said, which threw him off guard being we don't really talk.