Chapter 13

The door to Ella’s and my room is barely opened, and I can hear her talking to someone and panicking. I don’t mean to eavesdrop, but it’s Ella and she won’t mind.

                “Ray. Don’t you dare interrupt me again. Our ‘road trip’ was to find Tony, so Kay could apologize. She went to take care of his drunk-ass self and never came back last night. I think, Ray—I think they mated.”

                What? I knew Ella would flip a little bit, but she has no right to have called Ray. I almost stop breathing as the realization dawns on me: Ray is going to tell father. Tony is going to die.

                My body crashes numbly into the room just as Ella got off the phone. She gives me a heated look of betrayal. “Ella! You idiot!” I shout loudly. I’d be surprised if someone didn’t hear me.

                “It had to happen. You have to follow the rules regardless of your father’s power.”

                “You lied. I did absolutely nothing wrong.” The air is stagnant between the two of us, “And I thought I could trust you. And thought you wouldn’t jump the gun like you just did.” My rage falls away and my exposed, vulnerable voice threatens to reveal the fear and the sobs I'm working so hard at hiding from her.

                “I jumped the gun?” she explodes. “I waited all fucking night for you to come up and it turns out you were screwing a drunk! Wait to use your brain, Kay. He probably thinks of you as a sleazy scumbag now.”

                My vision blurs for a moment. “I didn’t do anything with him. He asked me to stay with him and I did. We stayed on opposite sides of the bed with clothes on the entire time. He didn’t touch me at all. He was a gentleman.”

                “Tell that to me again when you hear him lose his temper and kill an innocent person, or he drinks too much and hooks up with every girl in Vervana. Oh wait,” she pauses for a moment to let everything she has said sink in, “He already has.”

                “I can’t believe you.” I choke out. This was my best friend, my partner in crime, the girl that knows everything about me, “I love him as much as I possibly can, and I thought you would support me because you thought he was better for me than Ray was. I thought you hated Ray as much as I did for all the rumors he spread about me and him and what we falsely did together.”

                A look of hatred settles on her face. “Well, I lied. I came along because I wanted to witness your little fantasy that he would forgive you and everything would be fine crash down on you and that you would finally get a clue. This isn’t a movie or a book, Kay. This is life, and in life you don’t fall in and out of love with the same person over and over again until finally one day you decide to settle down and possibly exile one of your closest friends for liking you.”

                “That wasn’t a crush, Ella. That was nastiness all wrapped up in a pretty little bow.”

                “Tony used you. And he is still continuing to use you. But you are never going to understand because you are a selfish, vain, rude, ignorant little prick.”

                “Wow.” I laugh sarcastically. “That hurt. You’ve clearly been lying to me this whole time we’ve been friends. You just wanted some of the power I get on my birthday because you will never be like me, Ella. You will never have the Gene, and you will never be important because you are a carrier. Your only job is to make little male Lupina babies.” I snap harshly at her. Maybe now she will snap out of her rage and call Ray off.