Chapter 4

The first thing I know when I wake up is that I am either dead or dying. I try to breathe in deeply, but my ribs hurt, making me groan. I try to move, but it hurts try to move. Anything I do hurts. A lone tear runs down my face.

                “It’s okay. You’ll be okay.”Tony’s voice says and I look up, seeing him running to me. He lands by my body and looks down at me.

                “It hurts though…” I whimper so quietly, I didn’t expect him to hear me.

                “I know, Kaya, I know. Don’t move. It’ll heal in some hours.” He passes his fingers through my hair.

                “I'm cold.” I close my eyes again and fall asleep.

                When I wake up again, it is still dark out, but the sun is almost up. Its bright tendrils snake over the horizon. I am still laying on the ground-at the same place and position I was after that vampire threw me at the rock- but it is better than before. I'm not as cold or as sore as I was. Truthfully, I'm not cold anymore. I have a big, white wolf shielding the wind from me. Tony.

                I subconsciously move my hands and play with Tony’s snowy ruff. He looks like an extra large teddy bear. The kind that I can win at carnivals.

                The wolf stirs and looks back at me. Its eyes show how relieved Tony is to see me awake. His wolf gets up and grabs a bundle of clothes in his mouth. He goes behind a tree and Tony emerges wearing dark jeans. No shirt.

                Instinctively, I look away. It seems to me that my eyes will start hurting if I look at him too long. I wonder how often he goes to the gym because he has everything in all the right places.

                “How’re you feeling, beautiful?” he asks and sits beside me, brushing my cheek with his thumb. Don’t call me beautiful.

                “Definitely not beautiful, but better.” I answer and try to sit up.

                “Whoa. Calm down.” He says, helping me into an upright position. “I don’t think you’ve healed enough to be moving around as much as you want to.”

                “My back feels better, but it still hurts. The worst pain I feel is in my foot. I can’t move it.” I relax and let him move me, so I'm sitting up.

                “Your foot is broken. It was completely out of place. I had to set it to make sure it didn’t heal the way it would have. You just strained your back muscles. They’re simply sore now. It’ll go away in some hours. You just need to rest and get better. I can take you home once they are slightly healed. Your parents will be crazy worried.” He moves to sit behind me and gives my back and core relief by supporting me.

                “Why haven’t you told them yet?” I sink down lower and lean completely against him. I feel his warmth emanating from his chest. I relax. No vampires anymore. I'm safe.

                Fabric bunches up underneath me. I look down and notice I am wearing a large blue shirt. Tony’s shirt. Maybe Tony isn’t as bad as I assumed he was.

                “I didn’t want to leave you alone.” He sighs. He isn’t that bad at all. “Now sleep so you’ll heal faster.”

                “Alright.” I yawn and my head falls leadenly onto his chest. His scent surrounds me and I fall asleep.

                “What happened?”

                “What did you do to her?”

                “I didn’t-”

                “Oh my! My poor little puppy! Here, this way.”

                Voices. Voices I know, but I cannot understand exactly what they are saying. I feel like I have cotton stuffed in my ears. They are all talking at once, so it blends into one big mess at the end of it all.           

                My head hurts as much as my foot. My eyes are still closed, yet I know that I am home. It’s familiar smell—along with Tony’s—lets me know exactly where I am. Foyer. Moving past the kitchen, towards the sofa. Tony is carrying me there.

                I moan loudly and try to move. Tony grips me tighter, so I cannot fall, “Tony.” I muster with all my strength at the moment. It will be better soon. I am healing quicker than I used to be.

                “I'm here.” He says right above my face. My eyes open a little, slowly, and I try as hard as I can to ignore the pain in my head. “Hi sleepyhead.” Tony smiles down at me. His face looks like an angel. My eyelids grow heavy and they start to fall again. Tony puts me on the sofa and moves. I open my eyes as wide as possible and they stay open. Tony is sitting in an armchair just arm’s distance from me.

                Mom runs to me almost as soon as he put me down safely. “My little girl! My poor, poor baby. What happened?” tears streak down her tanned face.

                I inhale heavily, “Vampire.”

                “Vampire? Is that what you said?” my father asks from the corridor from his office. I nod leadenly. “We haven’t had a vampire near the pack in centuries. Are you sure?”

                “They’re back, sir. One definitely attacked Kaya yesterday night and nearly killed her. I was lucky enough to have gotten there in time.” Tony answers for me until I find my voice. Mom presses her hand softly to my forehead.

                “Thank the lord my baby is okay.” She says quietly.

                “You should be thanking Tony.” I whisper, “He’s the one that saved me.” Ray comes from the kitchen—I haven’t the faintest clue how he got there—with a glass of ice cold water, “Here, Kay, drink.” He offers it to me and I chug it all down. I hadn’t realized how thirsty and hungry I was until now.

                “You better get to school, Reymond. Kaya is home and safe. You can return as soon as the school day is over.” My dad says. He sounds stiff and formal. And lying. A different part of my brain thinks. It does sound like he is not saying something to Ray. Maybe my father is hiding something.

                “Yes.” He comes forward, watching Tony angrily, and drops a kiss on my clammy forehead. “Fell better, Kay.” He turns swiftly to leave and goes out the door. Ray doesn’t want to leave, I know, but no one says no to alpha.

                Once Ray is out of the house, both Tony and my father relax. Dad turns to Tony. “We have to do something about the vampire.” He tells Tony.

                “We?” I gather all my strength and wake up completely. “Dad, since we do we talk to other alpha’s about our pack problems?” I sit up, feeling a little dizzy.

                “Well…” he starts gently, “I planned to talk to you alone later about it, but with all this going one, I cannot find time to tell you privately.” He comes closer and sits on the edge of the couch. “Anthony is pack now.”

                My heart beat quickens and I cannot wipe the smile off my face. Its an automatic reaction. I get to have another friend to hang out with. I look to Tony and he looks away. He gets up and moves to a chair farther from me. My heart darkens fast. “How though? It’ll be fun with another young wolf in the pack… but doesn’t he already have a pack?” I'm not sure if it was just the headache, but I'm incredibly confused.

                My heart continues to darken as dad opens his mouth to speak. The look in his eyes means that this can only be bad news, “Well… he did, but he agreed to join our pack,” he takes another deep, slow breath. The wait in between phrases is painfully agonizing for me, “If he can have you as a mate.”