Chapter 1

Being me isn’t as easy as it comes across as. I am very far from normal. Not in a superficial way like I’m unpopular. Trust me, I am very popular.

                I have been a Lupina for sixteen- almost 17- years. I have frequently been called shape shifter, monster, but mostly werewolf is what my kind is most known as.

                I hate the world werewolf.

                It’s not like that at all. My kind doesn’t scream, shift and turn into a giant, blood lusting wolf that slaughters everything in sight on a full moon.

                I’m so completely passed that by this late in the game.

                Since I was seven, I have been able control when and where I shift. Most Lupina spend at least a decade trying to figure it out, but I’ve always been a fast learner. On the plus side, I got to spend my school years at an elementary school. A normal one.

                “Boo!” I scream, leaping on Ray’s back, “Excited about tonight?”

                His arm tightens, gripping my knees near his hips, giving me a piggy back ride. “What would I be excited about?” he answers calmly, walking to his car. The sun reflects from his light brown hair, making it look blonde.

                “C’mon! Don’t be like that! You know exactly what I’m talking about!” I poke his cheek, hoping to irritate him. He laughs and ducks away from my hand. One of the girls around us smiles cheekily at Ray and twirls a strand of her hair around her perfectly-manicured finger.

                He just smiles back and when I poke his cheek again, he bites my finger. Hard. “Jerk!” I cry out in pain and stick my finger in my mouth.

                “You deserved it.” He says, laughing.

                I take the finger from my mouth, “And you deserve corporal punishment.” I glare at the back of his head, “But I’m feeling nice. Besides, I’m going to your football game tonight. That you aren’t excited about.” I jump gracefully off his back and open the back door. My bag crashes against the opposite door.

                “Oh.” He pauses, “Just for me?” he mocks my voice, and I shut the door and turn around.

                “Yes. Just for you.” I say in a more sardonic tone and narrow my eyes at him. I make my way to the front seat and pause before opening the door.

                “So the fact that you’re a cheerleader has nothing to do with it?”

                “Nope. Not a bit.” I laugh and get in the car, “The uniform and pom-poms are just a bonus.” I put my feet on the dashboard.

                “That’s the same as me saying I’ll be there just to see you cheer for the first time.” He looks over after folding himself in the car and sees my feet up. “And take your smelly feet off my precious car.” he slaps my thighs and I put my feet down.

                “Aw that’s sweet Ray. But it won’t be the first time I’m cheering. I was a cheerleader in middle school too, silly.” I touch his shoulder, trying not to laugh. “Just focus on winning, okay? Otherwise, we’ll never speak again.”

                “You’re such an ass.” He smiles lovingly over at me and pulls out of the student lot.

                “What can I say? Me and ‘ass’ are a package deal.” I shrug nonchalantly, “Special deal. For you, $99.99.” he shakes his head and calls me a name I’d rather not think on. We fly down the road, almost airborne at times.