Chapter 5

Mate. Did my dad just use ‘Tony’ and ‘you’ and ‘mate’ in the same sentence, referring to me? No, it can’t be. My mind is going crazy with pain and I'm hallucinating. This is a joke. No, it’s not a joke, it’s just a dream. It’s a dream. And I need to wake up now.

            “And I agreed to it.” finishes my father.

            Wake up, Kaya. Wake up now. I need to wake up. My head falls into my hands. The whole world is spinning around. I stand up, but my broken foot throws me off balance and I crumble to the ground. Sharp needles of pain rocket through my body.

            Tony comes to pick me up, and I push him away as hard as I can. This is a dream. I pinch my arm. It’s all a dream. My breath comes in pants and my head begins to hurt worse.

            “This isn’t a dream, is it?” I ask, my voice rough. Mom shakes her head. Why did dad not ask me what I thought? I pull myself back onto the couch and hug my knees.

            “Honey…” mom knew that Tony and I would be mates before I found out.

            “Go away. All of you. Just go away.” I cry softly, not looking at any of them. Tears wet my bare knees. They slip down my legs and I don’t pay attention to anyone else. I hear the front door open and close and the room falls silent. I lay back down, curling into the couch.

            Minutes go by. Ten, twenty, maybe thirty. I cannot think. I don’t want to think. If I do, I will just remind myself of what I am going to have to do, what I will become. I am going to be with Tony whether I want to or not. And I certainly do not want to.

            “I'm sorry.” Tony’s voice tells me eventually.

            He was here the whole time? Why? How did I not notice it? Oh yeah, I'm wearing his shirt. I smell like him. I’ve become desensitized to him. My mouth shuts, not replying to him in the slightest of ways. I'm not even going to have a reaction. Partially because I don’t want to talk to him, and partially because I have no idea what to say. It isn’t his fault. Maybe it is. I don’t know.

            “I am sorry.” He says again. His footsteps draw closer. I can hear him as he sits on the floor beside me, and I roll onto my back. “Please talk to me.” I don’t answer, “I didn’t mean to make you unhappy. I liked you since the moment I laid eyes on you.”

            I blink lethargically at the ceiling and clear my dry throat. “You did make me unhappy, though. even after I told you I didn’t want to be your mate, you went against my wishes and my respect and asked my father. I don’t even believe that you told him that you basically asked me and I said no.” I swallow again, wetting my dry throat, “I feel it will be best if you leave me alone for a while and let me think.”

            I am more upset with my father, but I don’t tell it to Tony because I think he needs to know my opinion on the matter. He needs to leave. He nods silently, gets up, and goes out of the front door.

            I roll off the couch and hobble up to my room to put actual clothes on. My phone buzzes on my desk and I look over. “Hello?” I answer. Then I cough to clear my throat, so I'm speaking normally.

            “Are you okay? Are you hurt? are you home?” the voice on the other line yells as soon as I put my ear to the receiver.

            “Yes, yes, and yes. I'm alright, Ella. Don’t worry about me so much.” I reply softly, trying to calm her down.

            “Don’t worry? You were attacked by a fucking vampire! Don’t you dare tell me to calm down.” This is the girl I love most in the whole world. She is also pack and knows that Tony kissed me, so that makes things better.

            “Okay.” I laugh and collapse tiredly onto my bed. My foot is beginning to hurt again, but I can hardly feel it over the sense of betrayal I feel towards my father, mom, and Tony. “Why aren’t you in school?” I ask. The other line sounds tinny; I know she is in her car.

            “Ray came in late and told me what happened. I faked sick and got to leave early. I'm in your driveway now.” she pauses, “Is there supposed to be a shirtless guy on the porch sitting with your parents? He’s pretty hot. Hang on. I'm like at your door. See you in a second.” She hangs up and I throw Tony’s shirt in the back of my closet. I will have to remember to wash it and give it back to him at a later date.

            “Kay? Are you in your room?” I hear Ella call from the stairs. I croak out some response and Ella thn dashes in.

            “You look pretty today.” I examine her outfit from head-to-toe. She has on a red pencil skirt and a flowy blouse on top. She grins and kicks her red converse off.

            “Mind if I join you?” she asks and I make room, so she can lie down too. “Was that Tony outside?” she tucks herself in beside me and messes with a strand of my hair.

            “Yeah, I'm having problems.” I sigh and I can almost feel my bone healing, “He’s my mate.”

            She gasps and sits upright, “Didn’t you say no? I don’t get it.”

            “I did say no. then he went and asked dad. And dad said yes to him. Alpha overrules my say, I suppose. Even though it is my future.” I stop and look down at my hands. “I don’t really have a say I really owe him. He saved my life, and he isn’t that bad. But I just met him yesterday and we need more time.”

            “I don’t think your dad realizes how this kind of thing affects you. Maybe your father thought you liked him. I don’t think he meant to make you feel bad.” Ella says calmly. Why does she get to be the diplomatic one?

            “I'm almost 17. I'm not ready to throw my life away just now. I-” my voice cracks and I stop talking. “Whatever. I guess I have to get used to this whole ‘no freedom’ thing.”

            “If I were you, I would become a nun.” Ella jokes and shuts her eyes. “We should both sleep first. You need to heal and your mess has wiped me out.” She suggests after a moment of silence and we both pass out.