Sanity

Chapter 1: "Sanity"

I've not known them long, nor what they've looked like... But I have felt their warm hugs... And the echoes of a soothing lullaby... Ever so often I would hear the melody chanting my name from a distance, everywhere I go...

"My Ena, my Ena, hear my voice... My Ena, my Ena..."

...It was vague; nothing but a blur... but one thing lead to another, the ambience was gently then quickly alternating... A faded memory of mine that has rendered into my worst nightmare.

The voice never returned.

"You're going to love London, England."

I seem to have no intent in answering Auntie Clem's effort in starting a conversation while my attraction was more interested of the view outside my window. 

"...You're bedroom is quite large, so you will be able to have plenty of space. You'll be advised with a personal maid as well. I have also enrolled you to the most exceptional private school in all of England - well, the school that is closest to us, but certainly is still top tier--" she shortly pauses her sentence, "--Ena?" 

I turn my head to her, aware that her expression appears to be a bit off. Her green eyes are piercing with worry and turmoil. 

"Is everything alright?" She asks concernedly.

Seeing that I have made her feel bothered by my negligence, I force a smile, "I'm just nervous, that's all," I say dishonestly. 

Her mood lightens up, not noticing a single sliver of lie that I've said. She lightly fixes my bangs into place and gives me a smile of relief. 

Auntie Clementine is my mother's little sister. Classy, young and charming, only 32 years old. She has the glistening tawny long locks that flow down to her hips but is always maintained into a cluttered bun. She has a petite figure with a pretty face, but her mysterious grace comes within her luminous emerald like eyes. I must say, I am a bit jealous of her appealing complexion. Not to mention, she is an Aristocrat with a British accent.

"Itut's been so long since I've seen you," she says softly with her white lacey-gloved hands stroking my  chin.

She brings her dainty hands back on her lap and anxiously starts fiddling with her fingers like she is holding back on what is needed to say. 

"I... I know I should've came sooner," she then directs her eyes on mine with intense uneasiness, "Regarding that you've been placed in an orphanage for 12 years, I--"

Before she could finish her sentence, my heart began to ache heavily. 

I have settled 12 years of my life meandering and wandering off in that mad house. But being caged for countless of years till now; It has taken a joyless toll on me.

A while ago, Auntie Clem arrived to the orphanage and now has full custody of me. I left the Orphanage and here I am travelling with her on a grand white carriage pulled by two beautiful black stallions. 

"--I'm really sorry, Ena."

I forcibly clench my annoying pain back to my senses and I glance to her with a fraudulent smile.

"Auntie, It isn't your fault. I'll be fine," I assert. 

She looked pleased with my reply, however she turns away with guilt in her eyes. But I couldn't bear seeing her so troubled and I shift my attention back to my window, listening to the trots of the two horses thumping the ground with their hefty hooves as they move in sync and sound in rhythm.

If only she knew, I still wouldn't tell her then... And I still wouldn't tell her now.

*End of Chapter 1*