The Bad Report

Sup guys?

↑↓↑↑↑↓↑↑↑↑↑↓↓↑↑↑

His eyes were trained on anything but me, he seemed determined to not look at the person who helped him.

He had changed out of his leathery armor after the short and silent argument we had had, and now he wore worn jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie.

He seemed, scared? Nervous?  Whatever he was feeling he hid it so well. His eyes were dull and broken and held nothing.

It made my heart clench.

It almost scared me how he sat there, not moving a so much as a finger. Not even his breath was shown.

He almost looked like a puppet without it's puppeteer, not capable of anything without it.

The phone rang loudly throughout the house, breaking the ghostly silence. At this he looked up, silently searching for the source of the shrill ringing.

"I'll be back" I muttered, standing from my leaning position against the door of my living room. The only indication he made of hearing me was the small skip of his eyes, but it only lasted a fraction of a second. 

I reached the land line and picked it up, pressing the answer button.

"Hello?"

"Miss Silver?"

"This is she" I placed a hand on my hip.

"This is the WSU headmistress,"

The women's shrill voice rang through the line, and my spine straightened. My voice grew with respect at the mention of WSU.

"And what do I owe the pleasure Headmistress?"

"Please do not use that fake tone with me Anastasia, it is disrespectful."

I cringed at the use of my full name, and James's eyes narrowed at my slight movement. I sent a weak smile his way but he just frowned in return.

"I apologize Headmistress" I faked pleasure, my fist clenching the phone so hard my knuckles turned white.

"Yes well, I have called to inform you that professor Bakstrom has regretfully informed me of your failing grade in his class. Due to this particular situation, I have no choice to put you on probation. If you do not completely ace the final exam at the end of next month, your scholarship will not be renewed."

I dropped the phone in shock.

He had failed my last test? But I knew it was perfect, so why did I not pass?

"Hello? Anna?"

Her voice came from the line on the floor, and I picked it up and pressed it against my ear.

"I understand mam." I spoke low, my voice laced with sadness and panic. "Thank you for taking your time to tell me this."

At that, I hung up, my head low with shame. If I didn't get my scholarship renewed, I would be forced to go back to my parents. I would have to listen to my mother tell me what a fool I was trying to live on my own and taking the scholarship in the first place, and my father's disappointed face every day of my life.

Most of all, I would lose the farm. All my stock, my horses, everything would have to go, and it would probably be turned into a lot for trailer houses.

I couldn't fail that last test, I just couldn't.

"You okay?"

His voice seemed to struggle lacing the words together. He still sat there, unmoved from his slouching position against the wall. His hair covered his face, masking it from my veiw.