Chapter Five

Life was changing quickly. Grandpa had talked to the board and they agreed to support my new class. It was to begin the following week. I was also instructed to start slowly working my way through the student body to see if I could find more special abilities. They had given me the week off to get everything sorted out. I decided that this would be my week to go to Ireland. My time was becoming limited, but it was something I needed to do. Sometimes life isn't about what you have to do, but more about what you need to do- this was one of those things.

The plans were already in place, all I needed was to add in the date. Dominic wasn't happy about my going- he wasn't able to take the time to come with me. Things were too busy with his classes and getting his side of the details for our wedding worked out. He was also working with Grandpa to start the process for our move to the castle-palace thing that would occur after the wedding. Things were moving so quickly. When I stopped to think about it, my pulse kicked up to what would be considered normal if I was still human.

I packed up my bag, I would leave tonight. I'll figure out everything and come back and be peaceful for my wedding. So I kept telling myself. With all the plans in order, I suddenly felt very unsure. I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing anymore. Surely I can't live with the what ifs for the rest of my damn life. I knew I couldn't, it wasn't something I could deal with. With my bag packed, I laid down on my bed. My thoughts wandered in all directions, and slowly I fell asleep.

I really hated the feeling when you wake up and you think that it's nighttime, but you've only fallen asleep for a quick nap. The feeling of panic and disorientation that came along with it was horrible, and to think that something as simple as a nap could do that to you. When I woke up, my mouth was dry, my eyes felt heavy and thick, and I wasn't sure where I was or what time it was. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. I blinked the sleep away and tried without much success to unstick my tongue from the roof of my mouth.

When my eyes were able to focus, I found Dominic sitting in my room. I blinked hard to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

“Hey you. I was just going to look for you.” I smiled at him.

“Where are you going, mia bella?” He was worried.

“Oh...” I laughed. “ I'm going to Ireland while I can before life turns to chaos.” It must've looked worse to him because when I told him he let out a long breath.

“Okay. Do you need a ride to the airport?” He smiled at me but sadness replaced the worry.

“Yes, of course, I want a ride to the airport! And stop looking like someone just killed your favorite pet, I'm going so life is easier for us when I get back.” I sighed and shook my head.

“I know, my Little Emma Bird, but it still hurts that you have to do this trip in the first place. I wish we never left and moved here.” He turned from me.

“If you hadn't moved I would've never had the chance to fall in love with you as an adult.” I walked over to him and stroked his cheek.

His cheeks flushed just enough to let me know that I had smoothed over some of his hurt. I knew I would never be able to fix it all, but it was one of the things that he had accepted when he decided that I was going to be his queen.