"Why do you like me Dakota?" He looked up at me.

"Because... you're the most genuine person I know. And you cared about me more than anyone else here, whether you realized it or not. That night... no one else even realized I was gone. You were the only one who thought to look for me. And, no one except for my parents have ever done anything like that for me. I don't know, I just feel something for you and I think I have for a while. I just realized it when you did that." He leaned up to me and I shook my head.

"I can't do this Dakota."

"I know. I'm sorry."

~

I left Dakota's house early that morning, along with Sadie. I needed to get home to check on my dad, not to mention get away from his house. He kept his head down as we left, trying not to look at me.

I wasn't angry with him or anything. I knew he needed to get over me, so I decided to try and push him away. The bad thing is, I don't really want to.

I actually wanted to become good friends with him. But that would only happen in a perfect world: if he didn't like me.

I drove Sadie home and kissed her goodbye.

"Are you sure you can't stay longer?" She asked me, hopefully.

"I've got to get to my father. I'll see you later babe. Love you." She nodded and waved.

"I love you too Reid!" I began the drive to my house.

I made it home, sighing in relief when I saw my father's car in the yard. I went into the house and put the keys down.

"Dad?" I yelled out. I didn't hear anything, but the house was a mess. I looked around, trying to find him. He wasn't in his room and he wasn't in the living room. "Dad?" I heard groaning and I walked towards it, getting to my room.

I saw him on the floor in my room, half asleep. I sighed and went over to him.

"Come on, get up." His eyes opened slowly and he reached for me.

"I thought you left me Reid. I'm so sorry I'm like this, please don't leave me! I'll do better." I sighed, knowing he wasn't going to do better. It was impossible at this point. This conversation had happened plenty of times. I'd now lost hope.

"No Dad, I'm not leaving. Let's get you up." He nodded and I helped him up. He put an arm around my shoulder and I carried him to his room. I laid him in his bed and he sighed.

"You know Reid, it's nice to have you here." I rolled my eyes. He always told me that when he wanted a drink.

"I'm not getting you a drink Dad. The only thing I'll give you is water." He stared at me pleadingly.

"Go to sleep." I told him. He shook his head, reaching his hand out. "Now. You've had enough. Your shirt's still wet, you just had a drink." He looked down at it and I shook my head, pulling it off of him. I went to his wardrobe to find a different shirt and he was laid out on the bed, asleep. "Great." I mumbled, somewhat relieved.

I went downstairs and began to clean the house. It wouldn't stay clean for long, but it needed to be cleaned anyway.

I couldn't stand to stay in a house this dirty, it made me itch.

So, I cleaned up for about five hours of the day. This was one of the longest clean sessions, probably because I was usually here during his drinking spell.

I looked down at my phone to see a missed call from Sadie. I didn't want to talk right now. I knew she would ask me about him and it wasn't a conversation I wanted to have.