Chapter 3

Embry POV
Looking past the tall blonde who now glared openly at me. I searched for the Excloris who disappeared back inside to the shuttle.

Looking both ways for watching guards, I try to discreetly rip off the badge. The loud sound seemed to ricochet off everything and reach everyone's ears simultaneously. One girl turned around but was bumped by the girl on her right, who scowled at her until she straightened around.

Quickly looking around for any other watchers, I was thoroughly satisfied to find none. Turning to the blonde who now eyed me curiously, I put the badge in my palm before slapping it onto her clothing uniform. Turning over to me wide eyed she squeals, with such delight it shocks me.

And then I'm angry at the amount of attention she drew to us. Nearly every girl and guard in the area, turn over in our direction just to quiet her. My heart nearly stills as even the remaining Excloris peer over towards us. Then they turn and head into the shuttle, right as a guard steps up in front of the lines.

"The women chosen by the Excloris please form a line according to the numbers on your tags. Women who have unfortunately not been chosen for the Excloris, please move to the gates where your guard will escort you back over to your homes..."

Moving over to the gates so my chances of being seen were smaller, my guard seemed stunned to see me. Walking past him, he grabs my arm hastily pulling out the scrolls and finding my name. Glowing on the top of my paper is the number of my Excloris badge. The guard's eyes travel to my clothing where a patch of light color left behind radiates like a flashing sign that shouts 'I have been chosen!'

Shaking my head I flip out my left hand hitting the guard's wrist. His hand jolts while I spring into action.

Running forward, I feel the slightest graze of his fingertips before I was off. A shout rang out after me, and then guards were running towards me. Dipping through the crowd my short height caused me to slip through most hordes of women easily.

Luckily we were all going the same direction. As I made it to the bars of the white gates. Hands wrap solidly around my upper arms lifting my whole body off the ground. Legs flailing I kick anything that dares move in my path.

The guard sets me off to the side where two more come over and surround me, I had no chance of escaping this. Looking off towards the shuttle, my gaze catches the last two women and the Excloris who had chosen me.

Turning towards the guards I beg, "Please don't make me go. Someone's already taken my place. I have to help my mother. Please..." My sentence dies as one guard waves the Excloris over, as if he didn't already see the commotion surrounding my party.

Locking eyes with me, I turn my head around again, however he had ready began to move forward. Bringing along with him the blonde who now looked affronted. Waltzing over to where we now stopped many woman looked over to us, embarrassment washing over me again.

"Please, watch over my mother," speaking to my guard directly trying to make him understand, "She's paralyzed but sh- she's healthy. Y-you have to watch over her or she won't survive." The last plea was on my lips but a deep voice with a slight lilt to it interrupted my cries.

"Your guard will be assigned to your mother from this moment on." As if dismissing the guard, he unclasped my arms and vanished into the crowds. One of the other guards surrounding me took the blonde girl who still wore my badge.

Gasping as warm fingers brushed over my cheeks, I had been unaware of the tears spilling down my face. Moving slightly backwards the Excloris frowns before clasping my hand in his and turning back to the shuttle.

The grip on my hand was harsh. Forced to move forward, the other chosen girl looked impatiently at me before smiling sweetly to the Excloris.

Hand still clasped inside of his, I'm surprised that his entire palm fits my hand perfectly. But that's before the girl all but pushes me over and I let go of the man's warm palm, while she moves in where I had once been.

Keeping my gaze lowered, I trail slowly behind the two moving up the slope of the ramp. Pulling my dainty fingers to my face checking for any more tears. Nodding to myself at finding none, I peer through my eyelashes as we walk into the dark interior of the shuttle.

The lounge type area was packed with cushioned seats, taking the guy's hand the other girl walks boldly over to one seat and sits the Excloris down. Before promptly sitting on his lap.

Hastily looking away I find a large cushion type thing away from the groupings of people. Two rows behind the sharp type of circle they've made out of their chosen women. Gliding over to the area, I feel plenty of eyes watching my exact movements.

Plopping down on the large puffy seat with no back, I curl into a fetal position. Dwarfed by the large fluffy material that radiates enough heat to keep my small figure warm.

I close my eyes, securely allowing my hair to cover my entire face while I hope against hope that my mother will be okay. And that maybe, just maybe, this Excloris will not choose me as a wife. Even if that means I'll be inferior and exiled among my home people once this is all over.