Chapter 7

Soaking in every word the Excloris says I'm confused moreover by the procedures and masks mentioned in full, yet not nearly in enough depth.

Looking around for the box on the wall I see one large type of metal container stuck very high on one side of the room. Whipping my head around as the Excloris explains the Nils, I don't quite understand them as much.

My guess would be that there like an earthquake but there is an evacuation system that brings us above all the surrounding life and buildings.

Shaking my head I realize I'll have to be weary of these storms, they can be more dangerous than imaginable. Especially since I'm not one of these people.

Suddenly the Excloris turns sharply towards one of the three tunnels positioned by the opposing wall. Walking briskly through it, my realization sinks in that the only Excloris that even showed a lick of kindness to me is gone. And I'm left in an unknown house, with another Excloris who favors a girl who hates me, and all the others will be separated into guest rooms until the Trial Times start.

The sinking feeling of despair is the only reason to have hope. That if all goes downhill in this place, I can go home and see my mom again.

My thoughts stir to a stop when each group of three divide into two separated tunnels, all except the third. Even with that thought the Excloris and the other girl walk arm in arm to the far tunnel on the left.

I don't even remember those two clasping arms, yet I walk silently behind them both. Anger suddenly consumes me, anger over my mom who I abandoned, this Excloris who chose me yet isn't even bothered to look at me, and even this other woman who goes out of her way to exclude me.

There is a divide in the tunnel that no one goes down, so I turn and disappear through the third abandoned section. I wait for ten seconds to see if they even notice I've gone. However they don't.

And as no one paces back searching or speaks of a missing human, pain blooms like poison in my chest. A tear leaks out of my eye before I swipe at it angrily, and move down the short turn off.

Taking a right as another area splays out before me, I move farther down the room less tunnel. This tunnel is identical to the others; long and narrow corresponding to the same brown color as every wall. Slowly finding my way along the dark tunnel lit sporadically with hovering twinkles of warm light.

I gaze at the small bulbs of light providing glimpses of the curved walls. Farther down resides a tall framed door.

Taking the few forward steps I peek into the window showing rows of little cushions. All in light shades of maroons and browns, the colors each puff around little bundles of blankets where tiny babies rest. Pressing a hand on the door I'm startled backwards when it swings inwards towards the children.

Four rows rest vertically from the door, each row containing about ten babies. All of which lie soundlessly.

Hesitantly stepping near them, I'm startled when a muffled sob emanates from one of the babies farthest from me. Second to the last in one of the middle rows the tiny bundle is smaller than the rest.

On closer inspection the baby has hollowed cheeks, causing my eyes to round. Cautiously peeling back a slip of a blanket reveals a frail child with dried tears and soft horse whimpers. Fresh tears well in the newborn's eyes as I reach outwards.

Picking up the baby who is much smaller and lighter than any I've ever held in the nurseries back with mom. I hold the small bundle and rest her gently against my chest.

Her ear over my heart where most of the children back home like to rest. My mom said it was because they could feel a connection, personally I thought this calmed them because of the constant rhythm of a heart.