Chapter 7: The Faith of Felicity

James spent every waking moment by the sides of the two women he had rescued from that lonely island beyond the reaches of Port Royal. He was still immersed in guilt for leaving them and their four friends to die: either to be eaten by sharks, or worse to starve and burn to death in the unforgiving heat of the sun. 

The two ladies who had died on the island were given a burial when the first of the survivors felt well enough. She was able to divulge their names: Kristen Weathers and Hannah Waters. They had both been well-off and were friends in school. But they died together, painfully and slowly. The fact there were names to the faces made James' guilt all the more overwhelming, hence the burial the same day. 

Elizabeth offered to have the two scoundrels help him dig the graves, but James declined as he felt obliged to do the deed alone. 

"And besides, I can't stand those two and their whining," he added under his breath. 

That earned a small smile of wit from Elizabeth. 

As the two ladies were laid to rest, James put an arm around the weakened but determined companion who was wearing one of Elizabeth's gowns and James' Admiral coat to keep warm, as she felt feverish upon her rehydration. 

Once the service was finished with, James and Elizabeth helped the poor woman back into her room that she was staying in. 

"Is...Sarah...ok?" 

"She is recovering, but she was closer to death's door than you were," answered Elizabeth softly, "I imagine she'll be where you are at the moment in a few days." 

"Can I see her...after I rest?" 

"I don't see why not," smiled Elizabeth. 

"Rest well, Miss..." 

James realized that he didn't know this woman's name. 

"Felicity. My name is Felicity Faith Curran." 

"Indeed? Well, rest now, Miss Curran." 

James and Elizabeth took their leave quietly and went to check on Sarah. 

"I'm sorry about this, Elizabeth," said James forlornly, "I shouldn't be cramping up your home even more when you're expecting and mourning your husband." 

"I'm almost glad of it, James," said Elizabeth in earnest, "this unexpected event has given me something to do beyond feel ill and get depressed about Will..." 

"Then pray lead the way, Doctor Turner," said James in an attempt at humour to prevent the name Will from dampening Elizabeth's spirits yet again. 

Elizabeth did so, and saw that Sarah was stirring. 

"Maybe she's ready for some morsels to go with her water," pointed out the mother-to-be. 

"Perhaps," said James. 

James helped lift the girl into a sitting position while Elizabeth held a goblet of water to her lips. 

"Here you go," she whispered. 

Sarah sipped as if her life would fade in seconds without quenching the thirst. 

After several more sips, she coughed and spluttered, then dry-heaved her breathing until she felt a somewhat regular pace to swallow and inhale and exhale. 

"Where...where am I?" 

"You're safe, my dear," said Elizabeth, "you're in Port Royal." 

"NO!" 

James and Elizabeth were briefly taken aback by this reaction. 

"DON'T HANG ME! PLEASE! I'M INNOCENT! NOOO!"