Chapter 8: A Good Man and a Hero

Felicity helped Elizabeth to heal Sarah and keep her calm during their shared convalescence. Eventually, Elizabeth came to the delicate subject that came with the two strangers. 

"Do either of you have any family?" she asked cautiously. 

"No," said Felicity, "my parents were all I had. My father's brother died just weeks after I was born and he never married. The way Daddy spoke of him, he didn't...well, it's not something that we generally talk about in casual conversation." 

Elizabeth took the meaning and understood. She personally thought love was love, and she also knew that many sailors in Port Royal often questioned their sexuality alone at sea, but as Felicity said, this subject was not one to bring up in their society, neither openly nor freely. 

"And you, Sarah?" 

"I was with my father. He was trying to make a deal on me with one of his upper-class superiors. Tried to marry me off to the man's son so he could get some promotion or other and some extra money. He's gone now...but my mother...she's back in England. But I doubt she'll want to know me after what they..." 

"You were debased?" 

"No, but my name has been, Lord Beckett likely made it clear that I was to be hanged. Maybe my mum was invited to see me hang." 

"She thinks so little of you?" 

"She was as prideful as my father," said Sarah bitterly. 

"Well, as far as she knows, you're dead. If you don't feel she will welcome you and keep you safe, then I say you start anew." 

"How? I have nothing to speak of beyond cleaning and washing." 

"Not many women in this patriarchal society do, Sarah," said Elizabeth soothingly, "but I managed. Even if it took me becoming a pirate to do it. And if society says you're a pirate, then you can change your name and maybe your appearance and maybe find yourself work here or elsewhere as a washerwoman or something? And until you get on your feet, you can stay here as long as you want." 

"But...I've put you up enough," sobbed Sarah. 

"I've put you all up because my alternative is to be alone. With only a bawling baby who I cannot properly talk with for company. I love my baby to the ends of the worlds and back, but I still crave companionship with my own age group. And besides, I've grown fond of you and Felicity. I'll do anything I can to oblige you both...as long as I can have your friendship in return." 

"Of course," said Felicity, offering his hand over Elizabeth's in affection. 

"You...you'd really befriend a felon in the eyes of society?" asked Sarah doubtfully. 

"I'm the first king of the Brethren Court of Pirates," said Elizabeth flatly, "do I look like a respectable woman to you?" 

This prompted both Felicity and Sarah to laugh. 

At this point, James entered the room from his quarters and was surprised to see three laughing voices and expressions coming from the three unhappiest women he had ever met. Normally, Elizabeth looked either far away in mourning for time she was losing without Will, or guilt-ridden and unable to make eye contact when she noticed James. Felicity only smiled out of respect and admiration but was otherwise occupied with her negative thoughts and Sarah was a crier. She spent nearly all of her time crying over her ordeal and her loss of self in society. 

To see them now, happy and chatting, was a welcome surprise. 

"Hello, ladies," he said pleasantly. 

Elizabeth's face fell and shied away. Felicity noticed particularly. 

"I'm just popping down to the Treasure Trove," said James, his own low mood returning, "going to make sure she's fast and up to par for any future excursions."