Chapter Two: Agravaine has a plan

 Now that Arthur was regent, his food had to be tasted. It was a particular protocol according to which, as Arthur's manservant, Merlin was now responsible for the tasting.  It was a tedious process which had to be done under strict supervision and, though the idea had seemed enjoyable at first, Merlin had come to hate it more than any other duties.  His loathing for the new protocol had nothing to do with the fact that the rules required him to put his life at risk on a regular basis, three times a day. There had also been, to Merlin's great discouragement, no possibility for food-related humor in Arthur's plate.  The terrible truth was, in fact, that Sir Leon was overseeing the tasting, which meant that Merlin would never get to play any kind of prank on the Heir to the Throne.  Ever.  There was just no getting around Sir Leon, especially as far as Arthur's security was concerned.

"What on Earth took you so long?" said the knight, glaring at him, as soon as he crossed the threshold.

Merlin could only mumble a feeble "sorry" as he began his tasting routine.  At least, he had managed to get to the kitchen washed and on time, which was more than he's been able to do in the last few weeks.

On top of Sir Leon's glare, the amount of food on the long wooden table was making him uncomfortable.  The few servants still working in the kitchen were eyeing the small banquet with relish. Most of them were about to go home to a small loaf of bread and a piece of cheese.  Vegetables, fruits and meat were only purchased if a little money could be spared; such was the challenge of living in the city. The harvest had not been particularly fruitful this year and food, though available for everyone, was a highly valuable good, even for the kingdom's rulers.  Merlin suddenly missed the opened fields of Ealdor, picking berries in the summer and cooking freshly caught fish on a wood fire.

"Do they really need that much? I thought it was going to be only Arthur and Agravaine," said Merlin while taking a bite off a loaf of bread and then moving on to taste the wine.

The look of disapproval on Sir Leon's face was barely noticeable, merely a passing thing, and Merlin pretended not to see it.  It might have been a trivial reaction; however, Merlin had seen that look many times before since Agrainve's arrival. First, there had been the chambers to redecorate, the furniture to change, the daily training schedule to be rearranged and the servants to be reassigned.  Nothing could escape Arthur's uncle's notice, not even the closeness between the prince and Gwen who was looking after the king as her only duty; but Gwen was so humble and discreet in her demeanor that Agravaine had been unable to do anything to remove her from her position in the royal household.  There had even been a mention of finding a new manservant for the regent, or even several new servants, but Arthur had rapidly and strongly spoken against such a change and Merlin had heard no more of it.  It was not uncommon now, at the end of the day, to hear Arthur grumble and complain about his uncle's attitude, but Merlin knew the prince well enough and he could only grin at the thought of that moment when Arthur would put Agravaine back in his place.

"Lord Agravaine's demands are in accordance to his status as the king's brother-in-law and Arthur's uncle."  Leon 's tone was formal. "It would be wise for you to remember your place in his presence."

"Why?" Merlin asked absent-mindedly as he took a bite off an apple.

"Because he has the authority to make you spend a few days in the stocks.  Hey! You're supposed to cut yourself a piece, not bite off it!" burst out Leon , outraged. "Start again!"