16; The Girl Clinging to the Bad Boy

Start from the beginning

He's sitting on the couch in front of my father but stands up as soon as I walk in. Both of them look at me at the same time. "Hey, Leah. Your dad was just telling me about curfew."

"10 p.m. Remember that, okay?" 

"Right. Ready to go, Matt?" 

He nods eagerly, looking a little flushed. Something my father said must have frightened the poor boy. 

The train ride is loud and crowded. I am guessing people are also trying to get to the festival. Matt keeps one of his arms around my waist to keep me close. His other hand is holding the train strap that hangs from the ceiling to keep himself balanced as the train rocks and sways gently. 

"You alright?" I ask after five minutes of staying in the same position. He takes a deep breath, smiling at me as he tightens the grip on my waist. I have the urge to smile when I see his dimpled cheeks. 

He leans his mouth closer to my ear. "Why wouldn't I be?" 

"I am leaning a lot of my weight on you," I mumble quietly, feeling a little uncomfortable that someone may be listening. 

"Don't worry about me. I am fine. We're almost here." He slants his head to look outside the train. I beam when I see that we're just above the water. The city lights are beautiful, but my eyes focus on the food festival. There are food stalls lining up the road and bright lights stretch across one stall to the other. From the train, I can only see some of the tables set up along the middle pathway. Some tables are also set up on the city deck that overlooks the ocean. 

Matthew holds my hand as we exit the train station. I let him, feeling a smile creep on my face when he tries to hide his blush when I don't pull my hand away from his. Kaylin was right. He's too adorable. I will never understand how he was ever friends with Hunter. 

We trudge past the crowd, finally arriving at the festival. I inhale the enticing smell of herbs and spices. My stomach grumbles from hunger, and Matthew smirks as he pulls me forward to look at all the food. 

"You wanna get a drink first?" I ask. 

He nods as we walk towards a drink stall. "What do you want?" 

I look at the drink menu, pondering. "Just iced lemonade."

He raises his eyebrows at this. "Iced lemonade in this temperature?" 

"Don't worry, if I get sick I won't blame it on you," I tease, enjoying the way his cheeks flush from what I just said.  

He orders the both of us two iced lemonades. "Might as well get sick together." He shrugs. 

As we wait for our iced lemonades, I look around, spotting one of my schoolmate ordering from a Mexican stall. 

"Hunter," Matt exclaims as he tugs at my hand to walk closer to Hunter. I almost have a heart attack at the mention of his name. I purse my lips, regretting coming to the food festival. When I have the courage to finally look at him I see that he's already staring at me, lips pulled up into a smirk. His gaze slowly inches down to my hand, snugly intertwined with Matt's.

Matthew and Hunter are engaged in a conversation when I spot someone putting their hand on Hunter's shoulder. He continues to talk to Matthew as the blonde girl leans into him, slightly caging him between her legs. I am surprised when I find myself scrunching my nose in disgust.

I am sure she doesn't go to my school. No one that hot would go to Riverdale High without being the talk of the town. She probably goes to one of those expensive private school and buys her schoolbags from Hermes. 

Her dark, smouldering eyes meet mine, and she frowns. She possessively rests her hand on Hunter's chest. Hunter ignores this too and I feel a sliver of satisfaction rush through me. I don't even know why she's being possessive of Hunter like that. She has way longer legs than me, dresses way better than me, and has a face and body that belongs on the Victoria's Secret's runway. It's pretty clear he's not going to choose me over her. 

My eyes flicker to Hunter and he catches my gaze. I am rooted to my spot, feeling as though I've been hypnotised. 

"Who's this?" Matthew points to the girl clinging to him and for the first time, her evil eyes leave mine to look at Hunter. She smiles at him sweetly, offering her hand for him to shake as she introduces herself. He releases my hand to shake hers. They don't release each other's hands until I clear my throat. The girl smirks. 

Hunter's eyes are still locked on mine and I shift uneasily. It's as if he could read my mind. The way he's looking at me is almost predatory. I swallow, feeling myself getting wet. Get a grip, Leah. 

"This is Vanessa. She's a friend."

She doesn't seem too happy with what he said. I turn away as she catches his chin in her hand and turns his head to the side. I smile awkwardly at Matthew as they lock tongues. He smiles back, sighing uneasily.

The man that took our orders calls for us, holding two cups of lemonade in his hands. I murmur a 'thank you' to which he replied with a tired smile. 

"You wanna get some food now?" Matthew asks, studying my face as I glance at Vanessa and Hunter who are done making out, but still in very close proximity. 

"Yeah, that'll be great."

Hunter pulls away from Vanessa who's smirking triumphantly like she just won a car. "Going so soon?" 

"Yeah, we're getting food," I reply. 

"Have fun." Vanessa winks at Matthew. Matthew tugs at my arm to pull me away from them. 

As we're walking along, sipping on our lemonade, trying to forget about the awkward encounter with Hunter and Vanessa, I spot something. My eyes widen and Matthew looks at me bewildered. "Matthew, is that a boner?" I ask as I point down at the tent in his pants. 

-

Jesse Rutherford can bone me please