•Coira Lynn Forte•

Coira was 6. She was small, and most of the time was not included with the other children. Yet, when she was, she always wanted to be the boss. That was why nobody liked her. So, she would sit in the halls of the Ark, wondering why her Mommy was so late getting home. Mommy would play with her, holding Coira on her back and running her around the room. "Horsey ride! Horsey ride!"

That day, Coira didn't know it, but her mother wasn't coming back. That was the day her mother had been caught stealing extra rations. That was the day her mother decided that her daughter needed more than others.

Coira was wandering through the halls, her fingers dragging along the wall, when she almost ran into a boy. He was taller than her, and he looked about 9.

"Hi," he said, his platinum-blonde hair hanging in his eyes.
"You're not running away screaming, huh?" Coira said, eyes looking at his face for false sincerity.
"No, why would I?" The boy asked, tilting his head. "I don't see you around with the other kids that much," he said.

"It's because no one likes me." Coira shrugged. "But my Mommy hasn't come home, and I think she might be in trouble."

"I don't think so." The boy said. "Why would your mom be in trouble?"

"Because... um... I dunno." Coira looked at the wall. "What's your name?"

"Gage," the boy said.

"Hi Gage, I'm Coira." Coira smiled. Her brown hair bounced as she jumped up and down.

Eventually, Gage and Coira became really close friends. Coira had finally found a friend. But then, when the Ark began giving the children lessons and fun activities, Coira noticed a few other boys. She was never with Gage, since he was older than her, but Coira was finally making friends. Every day, Gage and Coira met by the windows. The day when Coira finally told Gage what happened was heartwrenching.

"My mom was floated," Coira said abruptly.

"What?!" Gage jumped up, eyes wide. Sure, he had never met Coira's mother, but Coira loved her.

"She was stealing food for me. So she was floated."

A few years later, Coira was 12. That was when Gage blew her off at the Union Day Pageant.

"Hey, Gage!" The blonde-haired boy was talking with a group of guys who laughed when Coira bounced up to them.

Gage turned, and saw Coira. knowing flickered in his eyes, but he shoved Coira away. "Go away. No one wants you here."

That was the day when Coira's heart broke. She had been completely pushed away by everyone.

---

Full credit goes to: dr4st1cm34sur3