Chapter 38: Foretold

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, something short and easy like... like Imp!” she says as she swings the passenger door closed after she gets out. “Or Fred or Jaz – no, actually, I like Imp. Let's stick with Imp.”

“My car is not an evil sprite.” I say as we approach the front doors.

“Maybe not but he's definitely not any old car either.” she argues. “He deserves a name.”

We're still considering the possible names for the Impala when Jeremy answers the door.

“Do you live here now?” I ask him.

“Only when something fun's going to happen.” he says and welcomes us inside. “How'd you guys get here?”

“We came here in the Imp.” Avery says and winks at me.

Tori frowns at us from the lounge when we walk in. “You rode here in an evil sprite?”

I look over at Avery with a complacent smirk.

"Rhys should be here soon." Jennifer says from beside Tori. They're watching some runway show on the TV together.

"Have you talked to your friend about the pack meeting?" I ask her.

Jennifer shakes her head. "The celebrations probably ran a little late last night. He'll give me the skinny later."

"Or Parker could right now," Avery says, casting me a sharp glance, her humorous attempt at an olive branch seemingly forgotten. "Considering she went to the meeting last night."

"You what?" Jennifer whips around. Tori flicks off the TV and joins her in their shared outrage.

"Are you insane?" Tori demands.

"Did I just hear what I think I heard?" Rhys joins as he comes barreling into the apartment.

"You could have been killed!" Jennifer scolds.

"Okay, enough disapproval. I survived. I'm okay. Nothing disastrous happened."

"Except a Werewolf saw her and stopped her from being mauled by Rabids." Avery adds in.

The entire room throws down a collective groan.

"You aren't helping." I snap at her.

"Oh, I'm not trying to." she replies.

"What happened then?" Jennifer asks, stepping up off the couch. "What did they say?"

I think back to the speech Alrick made. "They were talking about birthrights and fighting back and some random ass prophecy.”

“They mentioned the Prophecy?” she asks.

Okay, maybe it's not so random ass.

“Yeah... " I reply tentatively. "But I don't get what that means?”

Jennifer's face pales and she looks over at the others.

"They know." she says.

"That's why they've come together?" Jeremy demands. "Because this thing is actually happening?"

"I didn't think that that would be... " Tori can't seem to fully comprehend whatever's going on, whatever they are all realizing at once. "I didn't think that would happen in our lifetime."

"What? What?" I fling my hands out in exasperation. "Would someone please tell me whats going on?"

Everyone else throughout the room is in a complete awestruck silence so Jennifer takes it upon herself to answer me.