2. This Ain't A Dream

Start from the beginning

"What's your name, by the way?" Erin asked.

I opened my mouth to answer but stopped. Waking up in this bizzare place with no clue how or why I ended up here was pretty distressing. Especially with a bunch of grimy boys ogling me until I would explode.

And why the hell were there so many guys anyway? Is Erin the only girl here?

There was nothing I could come up with to make sense of this entire situation. But then, the dream I had with that unrecognizable boy could be my first clue. It still did not make sense, but I had to start with something.

Gally scratched the back of his neck. "You still can't remember your name? Sucks to be you."

"Maya. My name's Maya."

"Hmm. Glad to know you're not mute." Gally commented before leaving the room.

Now I was glad that he was finally gone. Seriously, he was demanding to much from someone who literally just woke up.

"Sorry about him. He gets a bit pushy sometimes. And don't listen when he tells you to call him Captain Gally." Erin offered me a glass of water.

Holy shit why did this water taste like the most delicious drink ever?

I did not respond and just tucked my knees closer, waiting for something. Not exactly sure what. Maybe I was waiting to wake up and realize that this was all just one absurd dream.

"Y'know, you're actually pretty calm for a greenie, eh?" Erin spoke again while she was tidying up the sink, "Most newbies freak out like crazy when they get out the lift. While you just popped outta there, no words, then boom! Fainted."

Guess everyone just reacts to bizarre situations differently. But maybe if I had not passed out, I definitely would have had some sort of a meltdown.

"Where, where am I?" I finally mustered up to ask her something. I only remembered my name and that was it.

"Oh, this? This is where we treat injured shanks."

Uhmm, ok. I totally understood that though.

"And trust me, these morons injure themselves every shucking day." She picked up a few things littered on the floor. "We're called med-jacks. That's our job."

What the hell is a med-jack?

"There's 3 of us actually. The other two are still in the Homestead--that's where everybody sleeps, basically. I just stayed here to-" She paused, as if realizing that the more she spoke, the more confused I looked.

"You know what, let's just go get breakfast for now, ok?"

~

Erin was sensitive enough to not force me into interracting with others or joining in with her conversation with Newt as the three of us were in a table together having breakfast. The two of them just let me remain silent, staring at my food. I did not know if I lost my appetite because there were so many thoughts going on my mind right now, or that maybe I just did not trust what they were feeding me.

"Someone's a picky eater." I looked up and saw Gally. Oh god, this dude again.

"Erin, you sure she ain't mute?" Another guy I didn't recognize, joined in.

"Well if you keep yappin' at her like that, I doubt she'll ever speak to any of your annoying shuckfaces." Erin replied as she threatened to throw a few berries at him.