True Colors

(Miracle)

TWO YEARS LATER....

Monica

My hands wrapped tightly around the expo marker as I maneuvered from one end to the other writing the agenda for this week on the white board that hung in front of my classroom.

Hearing whispering behind me I turned my neck. "I shouldn't hear any chit chat. Keep your eyes on your own paper. If I see any wondering eyes I will take your test immediately and you'll receive a zero." I placed the marker down and roamed my classroom monitoring each and every student as they took their exam.

This was my last class of the day and I couldn't be happier. Although I enjoy my job, teaching freshman can be a hassle. Since they're new to the high school environment they don't know how to act.

"Mrs. H?" Issac raised his hand.

"What do you need?"

"The first ten answers." He said causing the entire classroom to erupt into laughter.

I folded my arms. "Issac you keep on trying to be the class clown you'll find yourself in detention. And for those who think it's funny can follow along."

Everyone stopped laughing and continued with their test knowing how serious.

I took a seat behind my desk and kicked my heels off seeing my feet were red and swollen from standing on them all day. I sighed and crossed my legs and leaned back in my leather chair that squeaked every time I moved.

As I sat there eyeing the students I felt a vibration against my leg. I opened my desk drawer and pulled out my phone answering it in the process.

"Hello?"

"You have a call from the Houston-"

I pressed the number one accepting the long distant charges. I stood up from my desk and smoothed my skirt down and stepped outside of my classroom making sure to keep the door cracked.

"What's up Morg? I'm at work."

"Yea I know sorry. I didn't know if I would have a chance to call later on. Just wanted to wish Miracle bear happy birthday."

"I'll make sure to pass on the message as soon as school lets out."

"Alrighty. How you been though?"

I looked inside my classroom then back down at my feet. "I've been fine. Same ole' same ole. You?"

"Girl I have no choice but to be fine." I heard her sigh on the other end. "But you know I would feel better if you put some more money on my books."

I laughed shaking my head. "Girl I gotta go. But I gotcha'."

"Okay don't forget to tell Miracle!"

"Will do." I disconnected the call and returned to my class.

"Thirty minutes remaining."
*

*

*

As soon as the bell rung everyone leaped from their desk and flew out the classroom bumping into any and everything. As they walked out of the door I said my simple "goodbye" and "have a great day" as I do everyday.

I strolled back over to my desk and collected my purse, keys, and phone along with test papers that needed to be graded.

"Knock knock."