Chapter 2

~~Darian~~

Darian growled, louder than he wanted to, and when he glanced at Medusa, she was looking at him with a confused expression. No luck there, she'd heard them, and she lowered her human half down next to him. She kept looking at him through the corner of her eye, but the monsters before them weren't the sort you took your eyes off of.

"It's Darian now. Fuck off," he said.

The three winged women glared at him, exposed their shark teeth, and scowled. But they said nothing; the masks that dangled from thread did all the talking.

"You try our patience, Bellerophontes. And we have been patient with you."

"Yeah, thanks for that." Worthless god-things. "So if it wasn't you or the gods trying to shit down my throat, who was it? Who attacked that ship?"

"That is what we wish for you to discover."

"... you don't know. The Fates don't know?" he said, and Medusa gasped behind him. Her whole body started to shake when she realized who they were. He gave Medusa's worried hand a small pat, stepped toward the three creatures, their masters, and glared at each mask in close proximity. He even snickered. "You're pathetic."

That was too much for the she-demons. One of the winged bitches reached out with their free hand, fast enough he couldn't react, and grabbed his shoulder. Their grip was absolute, like a titan with a hangover, and they scowled at him while they screeched and forced him to his knees.

"D-Darian!" Medusa slithered his way and readied to pounce, but Darian held up his hand.

"They won't kill me. They won't even injure me. Wouldn't want to hurt their precious merchandise."

The Erinyes growled inhuman noises and shoved him away, hard enough to knock him on his ass.

"Stubborn child. Our need is for both of our sake's, not ours alone," one of the masks said.

He got up, dusted off his naked butt, and folded his arms across his chest. "I can take care of myself. I don't need you."

"They will come for you again, once they learn you are still alive, child. And your new friend will suffer for your stubbornness."

He tightened his fists, but looked back at Medusa behind him. She looked worried, even petrified, but her worry was pointed at him. He really didn't want to drag her into this shit show.

"That... that will be up to her. I won't endanger her, but it's her choice. I'll leave if she asks it of me."

Medusa tilted her head to the side, maybe a little shocked at his words. Perhaps she thought he'd give some speech about how he wouldn't risk her life, and he'd run away at the first sign of danger so she'd come to no harm. He was far too selfish for that. He didn't want her out of his life, and he knew it.

"Bellerophontes, someone has stolen one of the Moirai masks."

Their blend of anger and frustration in their inhuman voices earned more laughter from Darian than he'd hoped for. If he kept pushing it though, one of those winged demons was liable to hurt him just for the sport of shutting him up, no matter what their masters said.

"And what does this have to do with me?" he said once the laughter had passed.

"Whoever this person is, they are using the mask to hunt down all the children, including you, Bellerophontes. It is they who attacked you."

"Of course they are." He gripped his head and ran his fingers through his hair, complete with groans of frustration. "And what—"

"Enough questions!" One of the masks said, and the creature holding it stepped closer to aim the speaking slab of metal and glowing white at his face. "As we said, this is for both our sake's, but if that is not enough to convince a stubborn fool like yourself, know that this enemy has captured your beloved Pegasus."