13 - Aelin

I can't breath. Nox's face, staring back at me, betrays the same confused recognition that I feel. 

"Li - Celaena?

His voice is incredulous, disbelieving. As though he is questioning his eyes, and almost hoping that they are lying. I can't really blame him. I must look like death. 

"What are you doing here? What, what happened to you?"

My voice sounds weaker than I want it to. Like a scared, hungry little girl. The sound of it snaps me out of whatever confused reverie I had let myself fall into. I can feel the muscles in my back scream as they straighten, and I watch the look on Nox's face when my own hardens. 

"Never mind. Is there somewhere we can talk? Somewhere safe?"

I can't help but chance a look around me. Maeve let me out. I can't make myself forget it. She let me out, and I still don't know why. I'm worried that my exhausted and starving brain won't recognize her trap until it's too late, and it's already been sprung. 

But that's a thought for later. 

Nox wipes his own face clear of any emotion. 

"Yes."

He doesn't move. 

I let the silence hang for a moment, waiting for time and my lack of a response to force him to continue. It's a tactic I perfected a long time ago, as it allows one to maintain the power in a conversation. Time was, I wouldn't speak until he did, regardless of how long it took. But there are now spikes of fire racing up my spine, and I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to stay on my feet. 

"I'm not here to kill anyone Nox. I told you the truth. I'm just looking for a bed."

Nox narrows his eyes at me. 

"Why would I trust you?" Nox says, a bite of venom in his voice.

I'm taken aback, and for the first time, I take a moment to properly examine the boy standing before me. 

I wasn't wrong before, when I first saw him in the alley. He's holding himself like an assassin. His hair is cut shorter than it was the last time I saw him, and his hands and face are crossed with dozens of new scars. 

Nox notices me examining him and flashes a humourless grin. 

"What happened to you?"

My voice is quiet, soft. Because I think I know the answer, and I want to be wrong. Please, please let me be wrong. 

But as soon as Nox speaks I know that I'm not. 

"Did you really think" he says, his words laced with anger and poison "That Arrobyn Hamel would let people who got close to being the kings champion just leave his city? Did you really think that he would allow that kind of talent to slip through his fingers? I thought you knew him. His goons had grabbed me before I made it to the city gate. He told me I had a simple choice, train with him and join his guild, or find myself swimming in the lake without my intestines. "

I feel a weight pressing on my lungs. I hadn't thought...

Moron. 

Of course Arrobyn would have picked them up as they left the contest. Of course he would have.

"How" I begin, intending to ask how he got out, but Nox isn't done.

"Congratulations, by the way, on winning. Though, it must seem more a curse than a blessing these days. I mean, you only had your cushy new employment for a few months before Aelin Galathynius came along, killed your master, and blew up your home. I'm surprised you made it out alive."

"Wait." I'm hoping my voice doesn't betray my shock "Aelin Galathynius?"

Is it possible that he doesn't know? 

Nox roles his eyes "Yes Celaena, Aelin Galathynius. The fire breathing bitch queen, returned from the dead.  You cannot pretend that you haven't heard of her, because then I would know  that you're lying. No one on this continent has avoided hearing about her grand return and subsequent disappearance."

I stare at him. There's no laughter in his eyes. He isn't lying, isn't joking. He doesn't know. He must have left the city before we got there. 

"Nox," I say, trying to sound as gentle and honest as I can "I am Aelin Galathynius."

Nox looks at me for a long moment in silence, then scoffs. 

"You really must think I'm a moron. You're not Aelin Galathynius, anymore than I am the king Adarlan. You..."

His voice drops off as he looks at me. At my hand stretched out before me. At the tiny fire dancing on my palm, all I can manage with the weakness from my imprisonment still eating away at my power. 

"I think we have a lot to catch up on." I say.

Hey all, sorry about the (extremely) long wait. School has been absolutely insane and I just haven't had any time at all. I am so so sorry. I will do my best to return to semi regular updates as soon as I can. 

Don't forget to vote and comment below!