Great Minds

A/N So, this one is going to be kinda fanfictiony because that's where my brain went with the prompt! Anyway that being said I apologize for the OOCness which is bound to ensue because as much as I love to read fanfiction I am not a skilled writer. Also you know I don't own Tales of the Abyss that's all bandia namco and stuff and if for some reason you're interested, go play the game, it's so good, great character development argh~.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hee hee hee hee hee hee," a snicker approaches where I'm laying in wait for my quarry. Great, a runny-nosed old-man just what I need to ruin my plan. ... Actually, I can use this, a sardonic smirk graces my face.

"Saphir!" I hissed at the source of my annoyance, and fortunate opportunity if I so take it. The self-proclaimed rose lets out a gasp suddenly aware of my presence. 

"What are you doing here?" Ah, excellent here comes the pout and rant. " This is my chance to capture Jade, so get out!"

"Any louder instead of catching Jade, you'll get caught by the guard," I murmured eyes gleaming. " If you truly want to catch Jade, then we'll have to work together. How many times has he eluded us?" Well, you I thought, but technical details, Saphir has no chance. 

"You have a point. Perhaps by working together we can capture him, but time is split 60/40, I won't take less since he's my childhood friend." Saphir agreed pleased with his defense. I huff in response and nod my head, oh what the runny-nose doesn't know.

" You see the roof-top over there?" I say pointing up and to the left. "There's an alcove under the beige tile intended for ambushes should there be an attack on Grand Chokmah." As I was taking a breath," There is no beige ti-". I shut him up with a slap to the back of his head. "You do realize beige and off-white are two different colours yes?" Even in the dim-light I can see the blush of admonishment upon his face. "You'll want to hide there, he'll go past me, when you jump out. I'll then join from behind for a pincer tactic."

"Oooh, I've always wanted to have someone to do a pincer attack with!" Saphir's eyes were brimming with mirth.

"Then get into position."

Jade should be passing by any moment now. Time to change positions, obviously if Saphir thought this was a good hiding place Jade would notice. All is well, my trap has many activation points. I slid to a different location, with Saphir no knowing. 

There he is! His confident stride can't be mistaken for anyone else. Now then Saphir, play your part well, I smirked into my hand stifling a laugh. Just like that Saphir has sprung out, and began attacking Jade. 

I reach down into the earth and activate the trap I had so carefully set. The reverberations of the sprung wire create a ringing temporarily disorienting the combatants. I use this and create a fonic cage, not as strong as Jade's, but longer lasting. As I expected Jade avoided my trap, always excellent. Saphir, however, had no such luck. 

" Happy birthday Jade!" I came out from hiding not doing as well at hiding my demure smile as I would have liked. " I hope you like my present," I said gesturing to the trapped Saphir. At this point Saphir has begun voicing his outrage with the situation, but I choose to ignore him. 

" A day free of harassment, my I do say I may not find snot on my clothing how wonderful!" Jade smiled his normal empty smile. " Yet, I have a feeling this gift is not intended to be free." He rubbed the bridge of his nose under his glasses. "Come on then, birthday ice-cream doesn't eat itself".

"Ice cream how dare you! It's a cake day! Cake! Also, where are you going?!? Don't leave me here!" Came the shrill cries from Saphir behind us.

"If you keep keening like that your nose will run," Jade and I said at the same time. Well, you know what they say about great minds. I wonder if Saphir will forget by Jade's next birthday so I can use him again. Maybe I'll just replace his revenge diary with a version excluding this event ~

For now I managed to get some time with Jade. He may not recognize me for who I am, but this is some recognition, even if it's for making life a little bit quieter.