THURSDAY DECEMBER 26

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really hate winter. Least favorite season, hands down. It's too cold outside. In the time it takes for me to cross the street, my face is already frozen. The tip of my nose red. I curl my fingers tighter around the flashlight in my hand as I pass through the gate.

With all the snow, the house doesn't look that scary. The yard is completely covered in snow, unmarred by kids making snowmen or snowballs for their battles. Mine aren't the only footprints leading up to the house. There's a set that look like men's boots that I walk next to. Carson's already here. I had to wait until after midnight, but I saw him go in again and took it as my chance to catch him.

I half expect the door to be stuck shut, frozen or expanded from the damp. But it opens easily when I push on it. I click the flashlight on. The beam pierces the darkness of the interior. I take a deep breath and exhale slowly, step through the doorway and debate on whether or not I want to call out to him. Let him know that I know he's in here.

Before I can make a decision, the front door slams shut behind me. I whip around, shine my light around the area. Right as the beam touches a shape in the corner, the light dies. I'm plunged into complete darkness.

I shake the flashlight. Smack it against my palm. It doesn't so as much as flicker back on. I curse under my breath, tuck it into my coat pocket and try to see anything in the dark. But it's no use. There's not even light filtering in through the boards on the windows. I turn in place slowly, try to listen for footsteps or breathing.

There's nothing.

"Carson! I know you're in here!" I take a step forward, in what I hope is towards the hallway on the other end of the foyer. "I saw you come in so there's no use hiding anymore."

Something touches the spot between my shoulder blades. I jump. Spin around. I still can't see anything though. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all.

"This isn't funny, Carson. Come on."

"What's wrong, kitten?" The voice comes from next to my ear. "Don't like being scared?"

I reach out blindly, try to find him in the darkness. "You know I don't. Knock it off now, it's gotten old and I'm tired of it."

"But, I'm having so much fun teasing you, kitten." His voice sounds both farther away and closer at the same time. It's disorienting.

I take a few steps in a random direction.

"You're so easy to scare. Poor little Molly, scared of the spooky house across the street."

"You're a creep, Carson. Open the door and let me out of here."

"You were so nice the other night, kitten. Sneaking in here and coming to find me. Your heart beating so fast while you pawed at me." He comes up behind me, his fingers twisting in my hair. "Won't you play with me some more?"

I can't move my feet. His hands move to my neck. I try to move away, but I'm stuck where I stand. He laughs at me, but it sounds off. It's too deep. Echoes too much. My eyes still won't adjust to the dark in here, I can't see anything. But I can feel him moving behind me.

His hands slip from my neck, to my shoulders. He turns me around. It's too dark to see him. But I can see his shape. An impossible dark silhouette against the darkness of the house.

His form seems to eat up the area around him.

He reaches out and touches my face. I cringe at how cold his hand is. He clicks his tongue at me, brushes my hair over my shoulder. "Poor little kitten with her heart beating so fast."