Chapter 23: Emerson

Start from the beginning

"I think he was just looking for the excuse to spend his days fishing instead of sitting in meetings and filling out paperwork." Evelyn rolled her eyes. "But enough about us. Please tell me honestly, how is she doing?" Her eyes drifted to Rose who finally relaxed as Liz sat next to her and started up a conversation, Phalen had also moved closer, just over her shoulder.

I gave her a soft smile when her eyes found mine. "She is doing better than I could have imagined at this point in time."

*****

The sharp clinking of a knife against a crystal goblet caught the attention of everyone in the room. It didn't take long for the murmur of conversation the dampen as people seperated to take their seats, the music was turned down and the dance floor in the back of the ballroom was cleared away.

I took my seat next to Rose, Phalen's empty seat to my left. Jax to Phalen's left and Liz next to Jax. Everything in order or of precedence. Boring royal etiquette.

Phalen stepped around the head table, set higher up on the daise, to address the guests. "Welcome everyone. As I have seen, we have already found a few true mate matches in the crowd this year." Cheers and giggles of excitement erupted from a few of the new couples, mixed with awes and clapping from the others. He smiled at them all. "I'm glad we are able to give our packs the opportunity to find their true match, but also for those of us who might be looking for a second chance to meet others and perhaps start a new romance." Every unmated woman in the room swooned at the thought of being the chosen mate of the king or I. What a headache.

Headache. I paused, losing track of whatever my brother was saying.

I hadn't had a headache since dinner the night before.

Why?

I glanced down to where I held Rose's hand. Could it have been that simple? My avoidance of her made the headache worse? But that didn't make sense.

The sudden applause drew me back to Phalen. Pay attention.

"As many of you know, our Mating Ball is a chance for everyone to come together, to find mates, to bring business before the throne, to settle disputes, or even make announcements. This year, I am proud to make a few special announcements of my own."

I could see the unmated women around the room flinch, thinking their chance of winning over the king was slipping through their fingers. He continued after a brief pause, his eyes landed on Rose, who hadn't known anything about this. I forgot to prepare her for this, goddess I hope Phalen said something. My fingers tightened in hers.

"As many of you have heard, we had a very troubling case brought before us a few months ago. An alpha was removed and many changes have been happening as a result."

My eyes were glued on the Silver Springs alpha, daring him to say anything to the contrary, but he kept his mouth shut. Old man Morgan sat with his mate and that gossiping daughter of his. Next to her was her mate, being trained to take over as alpha after Morgan lets the title go. I suddenly wondered about the son-in-law. Did he share in Morgan's views?

"It was brought to my attention, that packs are large enough that an alpha cannot always know what is happening to all members, and there are occasions where an alpha may lash out and give judgements impulsively. It is rare, and I'm not accusing anyone in this room." Phalen held his hands up as the grumbles rose. "However, it does leave some members of our society in very vulnerable positions. It is my duty, my honor, my obligation to make sure that all of our people have basic care and a chance to be heard." He smiled. "For this purpose, I have build a clinic in the middle of the unclaimed territories. Geographically in the center of our ranges. This clinic is sanctuary land. It is a fortified establishment meant to offer basic healthcare and healing for anyone seeking assistance outside of a home pack. It is under my protection and as such, any pack attempting to breach the walls for any reason, will bring the throne on their heads."