t h r e e

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀—𝘸𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀
—𝘸𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶—

     𝘼𝙇𝙇𝙄𝙎𝙊𝙉'𝙎 𝙃𝙀𝘼𝙍𝙏𝘽𝙀𝘼𝙏 𝙎𝙋𝙀𝘿 up as voices could be heard. It sounded as though there was only a boy and two girls, but she couldn't tell. All Allison knew was that she would have to kill them if they got too close. They could give away her position if they planned to stay, and she was prepared or equipped for everyone around to show up.

" . . . but did you see her? She took four knives to the back before she fell!" The male voice says, sounding impressed as they begin walking through the alley. "Damn, I have to give her credit. That's a fighter, if I've ever saw one."

Allison was quick to compose herself as she stood, stepping into the clearing with Kaylin and Bryce on her tail. And she was right; there was a boy and two girls walking side-by-side, none of them prepared for her appearance.

As soon as they noticed Allison, they were quick to pull out their weapons— the boy with a machete and the girls with pistols. She almost wanted to roll her eyes at their stupidity. But, after all, they didn't look too old or experienced. And she wasn't about to kill them.

"You need to leave," Allison says firmly, looking between the three teenagers. "It's not safe here for any of you. Go home."

The boy hesitated for a moment, gripping the machete tighter in his hands. Allison lowered her weapon, gesturing for the soldiers to do the same.

"I'm not responsible for what you get yourself into," she begins again, "but just know that you'll die out here. I'm not going to kill you, but I suggest you leave before I change my mind. We're here for a reason, and you're not going to give away our position."

One of the girls— a blonde— takes the boy's arm in her grip, and tugs him backwards. They were gone as quick as they had arrived, and Allison was relieved that she didn't have to take action on them.

"Kids," Bryce shakes his head as they make their way back into position.

But it was only seconds before three gunshots sounded from just outside the alley, the teenagers hitting the ground with a thud. Allison flinched, her gut wrenching as she shuffled behind the dumpster. They were gone already, as soon as they had left.

Cage and Braille ducked down from above, sending Allison a signal as a pebble hit the ground beside her. Others were coming already. She had little time to react before a wave of large men with baseball bats cluttered the streets around them, bringing pitchforks and lit torches on their way. No vehicle to carry them was in sight, but she could only imagine there was some form of transportation for them.

She counted out around fifteen men, all of them buff and wearing Halloween masks that were splattered with blood. Allison found the leader easily, seeing as he directed all of them at the front. He was the biggest of them all; his strong arms peeking through the ripped cloth of his shirt. The leader held a revolver— the one she assumed had killed the teenagers just moments ago.

The woman shook her head at Bryce and Kaylin, not wanting them to attack just yet. She didn't know their intentions, or if they would even be staying. But from the bottom of her heart, she was hoping they were only passing through. Otherwise, there would be a bloodbath on their hands. The leader stepped away from the others, smoothing down his shoulder-length brown hair.

"Kill anyone on sight," he commands, his voice strong and unwavering. "Search around, we'll head out in ten."

Allison felt herself growing rigid as they began to disperse, all of them moving in separate directions. Few of them made their way down the alleyway, swinging their weapons as they searched. The woman sucked in a sharp breath, closing her eyes for a quick moment. If one of them laid an eye on her, she would have to take a risk by killing them. Backup would be her biggest worry.

Bryce was spotted by a heavy-set man with a doll mask on, taking a quick glance to Allison for a signal. But before she responded, she made a fast decision without consulting with her conscience. The woman stepped out in the open, her courage showing as they all turned to her. Allison wrenched a knife into the man closest to her, Kaylin doing the same to another.

She wasn't sure who had done it, but one of the snipers from the roof took out the final man with silence and stealth. They hadn't had time to yell; in fact, the only sound that could be heard was their bodies hitting the ground. Allison and her team were thankful for the quickness of their actions, and the quiet that they managed.

Before any of the others noticed, Kaylin and Allison ducked down back into position. If any from the group decided to come, they would find the bodies. And as soon as they would get ready to alert their allies, Allison decided they would die too. As long as their opponents kept coming, she would have no choice but to take action. There was plenty of ammunition to go around— so she didn't think there would be any problems.

Her operation would go smoothly.

But what Allison didn't expect was the hand that was forced around her mouth, and an arm that held her in place. She was fully prepared to knife whoever was going to take her captive or kill her, when she heard the familiar voice of Leo Barnes.

"Don't scream," he advised. "I'm here to help."

Allison sunk into his grip then, sparks spreading like wildfire as he touched her. But the brunette didn't stay in his hold for long; she yanked away, shoving him backwards and pushing her hair from her face.

"What do you think you're doing here?" She questions, jaw tightening with every word. "I don't need you."

"Not yet," Leo frowned, shaking his head, "but you will. Bane has four vans out tonight, all of which are out to get you. Your team isn't enough for what's coming."

"How the hell did you even sneak up on me?" Allison snaps, her whisper getting more harsh. "And how would you know about Bane's plans? I've been watching him all year, I've kept track!"

"He knows." Leo states, his dark eyes burning into hers. "Why else would Bane keep everything hidden? Besides, he requested my help earlier . . . that's how I know."

"He plans to kill me," Allison says without hesitation, her gaze finding the ground as a few new gang members entered the alleyway. "I'll have to have Bretton's group and Carlson's in order to get anywhere."

"My men are positioned it the two hotels to help," Leo begins, pulling a gun from his belt with his gloved hand. "We'll move out after it's clear. Until then, you need to wait for my explanation. We have bigger problems at the moment."

Leo placed his arms on her shoulders, turning her to face the open alley. And swarming into the small space was the group of men from before, all of them searching for those who had killed the others.

_______