t w o

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙒𝙊—𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙒𝙊
—𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮—

𝘼𝙇𝙇𝙄𝙎𝙊𝙉 𝙂𝙇𝘼𝙉𝘾𝙀𝙎 𝙏𝙊 Carlson as the commencement siren blares throughout the city. It echoed off of the neighborhood buildings, alerting everyone in the United States to lock their doors and windows, and prepare themselves and their families for the long night to come.

From the tinted windows of the van, Allison watched Leo as he and his crew prepared to leave. Since he had a skim of death years ago, he had managed to join a large crew that helped prevent the use of purging for the rich, and all that targeted the lower castes. Of course they hadn't supported everyone else purging, but if they wanted to eliminate the problem, they would have to target the higher users and further themselves as time passed.

Allison ached to be in her home with the windows boarded up, but she ached even more to kill the man who took her life away. Who took her brother's life away. And soon enough, she would find the peace she had tried to find for a solid year. Maybe then, she would be able to think of how she avenged her brother for what he deserved.

"Van two is now leaving the commander's house," Carlson informs Allison, glancing to the fourteen soldiers loaded into the van. "They're following suit of Bane's X-force, a mile behind to be careful."

"Roll out," Allison commands, nodding to the driver before she looks back to Carlson. "I'll need seven soldiers when I'm dropped off in the Varson alleyway. You and the eight others should stay put at Ellis Street— Bane has always targeted the people there."

"The poor," the man says lowly to himself, realizing the only people living on Ellis Street were those struck with poverty. "Of course. Would you like the second team to split up, too?"

Allison looks to Leo outside again as the van's engine ignites with life. She shakes her head, the van moving out of its concealed spot of the South Lot. "No. We'll need as many soldiers on Bane's trail as we can, and as backup if it's necessary— but for now, make sure they're with Bane and keep tabs with me at all times."

Allison and Sargeant Carlson Young would be stationed nearly six blocks away from each other, each of them on the lookout for Bane's marked vans. From his recent purging, Allison could identify his attacks over anyone else, and they stuck with mostly Varson alleyway and Ellis Street. Perhaps Bane had unfinished business with the people— or a person— there, or maybe he just had a thing for the poor.

But every year, he had repeatedly gone after the people there. But instead of questioning his motives, Allison only followed in his tracks.

Minutes later, Leo's team was no longer in sight. The blaring siren had stopped, and the sound of gunshots were already ringing in Allison's ears. She didn't flinch, though. Each and every year she had heard them, and the loud noises had no longer shaken her. She wasn't scared of the weapon, nor of the people that held them.

Allison wasn't scared to die.

"Nearing Varson alleyway," the driver announces, turning a curve.

"Seven of you will be heading out with Allison," Carlson turns to the soldiers. "The rest of you are coming with me. But no matter what, make sure Allison is your main priority, even if it comes down to leaving Bane."

"Like hell," the woman murmers. "Your main focus is taking down Bane, not protecting me. You know your orders and why I've hired you."

Carlson had clearly disregarded her comment, standing clear with his orders. Allison wasn't about to get into an argument with him, it wasn't worth the waste of time. She had to keep her focus, and his words weren't about to shake her intentions.

"Watch your backs while you're out there," he continues. "Bane isn't our only enemy. There are others out there with orders and motives to kill. Keep a lookout for them, too."

"Unload," the driver tells them, pressing a button to unlatch the back doors. "Be cautious. There's nothing on the radar so far, but I could only guess everyone is making their way around."

Allison nods, placing her hand on Carlson's shoulder. "Remember what we're here for, alright? No distractions, I want him dead. Clear?"

"Of course," he agrees, shoving at the back doors open. "Be safe, and watch out. I'll see you in a bit."

"Goodbye, Carlson," she bids, jumping onto the black street pavement. "My group, lets go. We need to discuss placement in the regions."

Seven soldiers follow behind her, filing out in a readied stance. Allison, on the other hand, wasn't paranoid as she glanced around them. The doors to the van closed, before it pulled away and was out of sight. The darkness of night had already set in, the sky glowing with scattered stars.

It was anything but quiet.

In the near distance, gunshots had already rang out. Glass was shattered, and a man's screams echoed down the alleyway. Allison shook her head, gathering with the group in a back entrance of a hotel; one that had been closed down for years. None of the doors were locked, and everything inside had been stripped. There was no longer electricity, and the white paint on the walls had turned brown while it peeled.

The soldiers flipped the flashlight on their helmets on, illuminating the space around them. Allison straightened, prepared to explain her plans as they waited for orders.

"Since there are only limited numbers, we'll need to spread out," the woman begins. "Cage and Braille, I'll need you on the rooftop with your snipers. You can head up that starwell, and it leads there. One of you watching the east, the other at the west. Be sure to let us know when someone is coming."

The two nod animatedly, wasting no time as they follow her orders and head to the stairwell. She watches them for a moment, before turning back to the others.

"Tyson and Aimes, you two will be in the apartment across from us. I sent Carlson to check their doors and premises earlier, and we're good. You'll be on the third floor in separate rooms, ready to shoot when Bane arrives. Head out now, and find your positions."

The door opens, and then they're gone. Three sets of eyes remain on her, awaiting their job.

"The rest of us are on foot. Aspen, you'll be in here watching from the window. Kaylin and Bryce, the three of us will hide wherever we can. We'll ambush when Bane's group shows up. And if we need back up, one of you will have to get the message out to Carlson or our other team. Understood?"

They were quiet as they nodded, heading to their positions on cue. Allison left the abandoned lobby with Kaylin and Bryce, making her way into the overlooking alley. They were out of sight before long, hiding securely with their flashlights now off.

Cage whistled from above them, nodding to her left. There were others coming, she realized.

The chaos had gotten louder, closer. Allison hurried to a place between a dumpster and the brick wall of the hotel, huddling down. She unbuckled her machine gun from the back of her bulletproof vest, prepared for the time ahead.

But there was no fear inside Allison Pierce as synced footsteps headed in their direction.

_______