~Chapter Two~

"Anne, may I ask you something?" Ruby called to her auburn-haired friend, as she spotted her walking across the pond.

Anne glanced back at her friend, with a smile, picking up some daffodils along the clearing.

"Of course, Ruby. What is it?" she replied, handing her some flowers so they could make some crowns.

"Well, it's about your farmhand, Jerry? I spoke with him a few days ago and he seemed very curt? Like more than usual as you have mentioned before" she explained, taking a seat on the grassy hill overlooking the pond as she started forming a crown.

Anne raised her eyebrows at this. "Jerry? Hm. He is a pain in the behind most of the time, but that's mostly to me. I'd say he's usually polite and jokey to others that is odd. Let me know if you need me to lecture him about his manners to my friends" she replied and Ruby's eyes widened, shaking her head.

"Oh no, it's alright. I was  just, curious is all" she replied airily. Anne smiled and started forming a flower crown as well.

"Well, if you change your mind, do let me know. Perhaps Jerry was just in a rush to finish his chores" she rationalized and Ruby pondered about this, nodding.

"Maybe you're right" Ruby remarked, finishing the daffodil crown she was making and placed it on Anne's head.

Anne laughed and finished her own crown and placed it on Ruby's head as well. They skipped into town with their flower crowns, spotting Diana walking with her mother, who smiled at the two, while other people shook their heads at their silliness.

"Hello, making flower crowns without me?" Diana joked. Anne and Ruby curtseyed before taking one crown out of the basket between them and placed it on their ebony haired friend, with a giggle.

"Why thank you" Diana chuckled as well, curtesying before the three skipped out of town, Mrs. Barry, chiding them.

"Girls, please be more proper" she remarked and the three took off their crowns and walked in a normal fashion back towards their homes.

~

On the way to Anne's, they passed Ruby's home that was being rebuilt with the help of neighbors and friends, and they'd brought some muffins for the men. Anne found Matthew, and handed the basket to him.

He kissed the top of her head in a fatherly gesture before passing the baked goods around to the men.

At the top of the house, Gilbert, Billy, and Charlie and some of the men were fixing up the roofing.

"Hey why don't you girls go back home to your cooking!" Billy called down to them, grinning with a smirk.

"What is wrong with you?! Why don't you actually try doing some work?!" Anne bellowed up to him, Gilbert looked amused.

Suddenly Ruby lost her footing and started to sniffle as she sat on the ground. Anne was about to help her up when Jerry came from around the side yard, offering a gloved hand.

Ruby looked back surprised, before taking. "Th-thank you" she replied, and Jerry gave a nod before going back to work.

Anne helped Ruby dust herself off. "Come on Ruby, let's go see Marilla, I'm sure she's anxious for us to get back" she remarked linking her arm with the shorter girl's.

"Yes, good idea. I really have to thank you and Marilla and Matthew for letting me stay while my house is..." she trailed off.

"Not at all, friends are always welcome" Anne remarked as they made their way back.