Prologue

Eragon took in the home of the new peace-keepers between the dragons and elves. He rode on his white dragon, Bid'Daum.

It is perfect, Eragon mused. He spoke in his mind to Bid'Daum, like all Dragon Riders do.

I agree, Bid'Daum said. But there is much to do to get the Riders ready.

Eragon and Bid'Daum gently glided down on the island, Vroengard. The city of Doru Araeba stood glistening in the early morning light. Some elves who were constructing the new base for the Riders were near them.

"Eragon!" one of them hailed. 

"Hello, Filuun," Eragon responded. "How is the progress on Doru Araeba?"

"It is coming along very nicely," Filuun stated. "Now all we need are the Riders." 

"I have sent eggs to Alagaësia. There is a spell on them so they won't hatch until they are in the presence of their chosen Rider," Eragon informed them.

Yes, and once the Riders arrive here, we will train them, Bid'Daum added.

"I see you have it all planned out," Filuun commented.

"Yes, and we will have outposts for the Riders around the mainland, and they will also stay in Du Weldenvarden and Illirea."

"Well, I hope you know what you're doing," Filuun responded.

"Filuun! We need help here!" another elf yelled at Filuun.

"Well, I better be going." Filuun rushed to help his elf friend.

I hope this works, Eragon told his dragon.

It has to, Bid'Daum said.