Shadow Honor - 11

"Grand Inquisitor Isean, you're not even listening. We have to do something about this." Lady Alsha stood tall before the panel of three inquisitors, her eyes blazing with fury. Despite the anger that she felt, she had managed to keep her voice composed. There was nothing to be gained by an emotional outburst, and certainly not when dealing with the pompous men in front of her.

They were in one of the smaller chambers of the Hall of Justice, but it was no less elaborate than any other room in the massive structure. Like every place in the Everbright City, the Hall of Justice was built of the finest materials, through a combination of the skill of great architects, and the powers of great mages. It was a very impressive building, but with every other building in the city being equally impressive, it hardly stood out.

"You're talking about a full-scale invasion of an important guild based on the hearsay of a few disgruntled merchants and other peasants," the balding bear of a man in the center of the three men replied with obvious annoyance. "We cannot endorse such an action. Imagine how the people will react!"

"It's not just hearsay Grand Inquisitor," Alsha countered, gritting her teeth to force the anger out of her voice. "What about Mister Swallow's report? A demon has been freed, or at the very least one of the pillars has been removed. Isn't that what the Knights of the Firmament were tasked to prevent?" As the three inquisitors' eyes widened in surprise she added with conviction, "Our very purpose lies in protecting the people should the demons ever rise again."

"And do the people know that?" the man to Isean's right countered. Grand Inquisitor Tibrae stood in stark contrast to Isean. He was short and slender, with long black hair pulled back into a braid. "We'd have a riot if we came charging in without regard to the social order," he said with a shake of his head. His eyes narrowed as he went on, "Besides, I hardly count the ramblings of an old man to be evidence of a demon roaming the streets. Where did it go if it was freed? Mister Swallow is nothing more than a man seeking attention, and there is no reason to give him any."

"I thought the same thing when I first heard the story, but when I investigated I found that there was more than enough reason to move on the guild," Lady Alsha explained, swallowing her rage to keep herself from shouting. "Even without the looming prospect of a demon invasion, Huzain Sabreeza has been oppressing the people he has been put in charge of."

"I question why you even bothered to investigate this at all," said the third man, Kinar Grembal, who was seated to Isean's left. He scratched his grey beard in thought as his grey eyes searched Lady Alsha's. While he was the lowest ranking of the three, bearing only the title of High Inquisitor, he was also the oldest, and he had a way of seeming grandfatherly, which usually put Alsha at ease. "But you do make a valid point about Sabreeza," He admitted, but then he sighed and explained, "Still, there is a process to these things, and we must go about them the proper way. This will take some time. A full investigation of those allegations must be organized."

"I don't believe that time is something that we have," Alsha replied without missing a beat, though the calm nature of Grembal had drained some of the anger from her. "We could be on the brink of something terrible here. What if Sabreeza is planning a revolt?"

"Now you're jumping to even wilder conclusions than before," Grand Inquisitor Tibrae accused, waving his hand in irritation. His eyes darted between her and the other two Inquisitors as he growled, "She's starting to sound like that boy you have working under her now. What was his name? Kirra?" Turning his suspicious gaze back to her he rolled his eyes and said, "Don't tell me that the orphan mystic is rubbing off on you. Perhaps it was a mistake to approve his transfer."

"The only mistake here is that you aren't taking this seriously," Alsha replied, her wrath returning like a flood, "Kirra was an asset today. If it weren't for him we wouldn't have learned anything at all."