Chapter Seventeen

I'm sorry I can't update as much as I'd like. I get super busy with the kids and then I get writers block. I will try update at least twice a week, but sometimes it will be impossible. Also this is long... too long, I was going to cut it in half... but figured you guys might kill me if I ended it where I was going to haha

love yas all.

Nick POV

“We need to warn Sarah” Josh explained

“We can't go to her ourselves?” I whispered, saddened that I wouldn't be able to touch her, to try and retrieve my memories.

“It's too dangerous. He'd expect that. If you go directly to her he'll come for you both. Right now he'll focus on his mission, you and if you're far away from her, she's safer”

“How long until I remember her?”

Josh sighed and sat down

“The drugs will wear off over the next couple of days. The brainwashing, I don't know.”

“You don't know?” I exclaimed feeling completely exasperated “How long did it take for you?”

“Almost the entire year I was in prison. But remember I'd been controlled for years”

“How did you get out of prison so quickly if you tried to kill me?” I questioned

“I was eligible for parole after a year, and my father has friends in high places. He managed to get the parole board to agree to my release. I only agreed to go for it because I knew what his plans were” Josh admitted, I could sense a degree of guilt in his voice. Like he believed he should still be in prison, serving time for his crime.

“I have the number for your apartment, we'll call as soon as I am certain we're not being followed.” Josh exclaimed as he shifted in his seat, he groaned a bit and ripped the leg of his pants. I looked down quickly and noticed that the bullet had grazed his thigh. It was bleeding a bit, but luckily there was no embedded bullet.

I drove for 8 hours straight before Josh said it was safe to stop. Exhausted and ready to sleep for days the last thing I wanted to do was walk, but Josh said we had no choice. We left the car on the side of the road and Josh grabbed three bags out of the boot.

He changed into a pair of clean pants to hide his grazed leg and we walked around 10 miles until we got to a small township. We found a car yard and Josh bought a second hand car with cash. We drove for another hour or maybe it was two before we finally stopped and found a motel.

The lady behind the reception counter was older, in her 50's perhaps. It was clear from her reaction that she recognised me.

“You're the young man that went missing” She whispered looking at me “You've been on the news every night”