His Darling | 19

CHAPTER NINETEEN.

"I must say, whoever took care of you did a fine job," he glanced at me, a sinister look in his eyes. "Heaven and hell have been ravishing the earth for you."

If he was making an attempt to make me talk about Xander, he was very, very far from getting anything out of me. I kept walking in silence. There was a purpose for this.

"But why?" He had stopped. My stomach did flips.

"Why what?" I looked back at him, trying to give nothing away.

"Why give you up—after such hassle?" The ghost of a smile was starting to form on his lips.

My skin crawled, but the words flew out of my mouth. "They believe in you."

"Tell me. Who is it." He demanded.

My insides twisted horribly and tears welled up in my eyes. "I don't know," I grounded out, looking into his eyes. "I swear,"

His scrutinizing stare bore holes into me as he came closer.

"I will find out," he said, his low voice reaching my ear. "And I will rip their hearts out right in front of you."

I swallowed when he turned away, feeling sweat drip down my back.

Jesus, I need to get it together.

I walked with Cole, tendrils of fear constantly tightening around me. I didn't trust him. I didn't know if he was going to hurt me again, but i knew it was not going to be a walk in the park. He showed me his dark palace, all grotesquely his style. There were many rooms tightly shut and chains could be heard on the other side. I flinched when a door suddenly rattled.

I wondered about his throne. I knew he had one.

Cole seemed unfazed by my uneasiness.

I glanced at every single person, or demon, or whatever they were--trying to see a fire, the desire to escape in their eyes. But there was nothing. They were completely and utterly devoted to Cole. Everyone we walked passed bowed at us. I was repulsed.

Christian and I locked eyes as I walked passed him. He looked exhausted. I wondered what was wearing him down so atrociously and reached in my pocket for the ring he had given me.

___

"Raven?" the door of the room creaked.

I turned, my hands behind my back, surprised to see Juliette enter the room.

"Hey, Juliette." I said as she closed the door behind her.

Her voice was soft, calm. "Good evening, Raven," she approached me, and as she did, I noticed her bruised neck. "I came to check up on you. I know--"

My eyes widened as I tried to examine it. "What happened here?"

She suddenly flinched, as if I had just reminded her. "Nothing of your concern. It was days ago, I'm almost healed."

I shook my head, unable to keep my eyes from her neck, but I knew better. I looked into her eyes. "That doesn't mean anything. You still got hurt."

"There's nothing I can do about it," she said simply as she limped and sat on the bed. I sat next to her in silence, looking at my feet against the rug.

"Have you ever seen someone die right in front of you?" She suddenly asked.

I nodded, my heart sinking to the bottom of my stomach. "Two. A little girl and her mother," Eleanor, too.

She didn't say anything for a while. "Were they the ones who kept you?"

"No," as sweet as Juliette was I couldn't tell her anything. Any information I give her could easily be taken by Cole, who does not hesitate to get what he wants. "They were strangers, in the wrong place at the wrong time," I said, looking at her. "How about you?"

She nodded. "One," looking away slowly as she seemed to recall, her voice a soft tune in the cold room. "She used to live here, with the rest of the girls. She was also one of Cole's favorite." Juliette said. "Very shy and very quiet. But for some reason she had grown close to one of Cole's men," there was a sad humor in her voice. "Out of all people, she had grown close to a monster,"

I had come to dread stories. "What happened?"

"What was bound to happen--Cole found out. He whipped her to death in front of all of us. In front of him," she said. "Then he cut out his throat,"

"Why are you telling me this?" I frowned. "I know what Cole is capable of--I've see what he does to the girls, to anyone--"

"Because you're hiding something and if Cole finds out, that will be the end of you, whatever it is,"

I stared at her.

"I know Christian is up to something too. I don't like it. I won't pressure you to tell me but please," she said, looking at my fisted hands on my lap. "Be careful,"

As soon as Juliette left, I jammed the ring down my finger, relief washing over me. "Angelus sanguine."

Christian had taught me how to use the ring in seven different languages. Latin was the first to come to mind.

Silence. Hollow silence.

Trying not to panic, I whispered again, "Angelus sanguine,"

Nothing.

Exhaling, I tried again. "Angelus sanguine,"

My frustration, laced with fear, only grew. "Come on. Angelus sanguine!"

But there was no response. I stared at the dull emerald diamond on the ring, fighting the tears that burned my eyes.

"Raven,"

I drew in a breath, " Xander. You answered," I whispered, looking at the glinting emerald for reassurance.

"Of course I did. It's been two weeks. Where the fuck have you been?"

"Where do you think? I have no space. I'm always with Cole. He thinks I'll try to escape, but I haven't. I've been so compliant it actually hurts," I went on frustratingly talking about all I've had to do, things that weren't horrible, but out of my character; like listening to him, willing to be in his company and biting down my tongue There hasn't been any deaths in my presence but I've seen him come drenched in blood, a crazed look on his face. I tried to stay as far as possible.

"It's good to hear your voice," Xander said absentmindedly after a moment. "And keep doing that, that's progress."

I ignored his previous comment. My first communication with him was two weeks ago. I didn't want to tell him how much I missed hearing his voice. "One of the girls here knows I'm up to something. I don't know what to do--"

"Do not tell her."

"I'm not. I wasn't planning to. But Xander," I paused, "I have a bad feeling about this,"

"Raven--"

"I want you to come... and help me," I whispered. "However this is supposed to go down, it's not going to end well. I know it,"

Silence.

"I can't. I'm sorry, Raven," then he was gone. The rock on my finger dull.

Suddenly, the coldness of the room wrapped around me. I laid on the bed, embracing its unwelcoming touch, letting it consume me.

____________

A/N: I am so sorry for not updating.  College is the devil incarnated. I don't know if the story is going the way I want, but if it's going too...idk...array, I'll try to fix it. I just know this and a few of the previous chapters were not supposed to happen but they did. Also I apologize if this chapter is not what you expected, I feel like I need some feedback.  Maybe I'm overthinking, idk. Whatever it is, i'll appreciate your  amazing support!

Lots of love,

Nessie