Preview.

I could feel the camera as it zeros in on me. It is as unforgiving as the tension and clatter my body is feeling. I want to get out of here. This was a mistake.

That formal looking woman, who couldn't stop smiling even if she saw a dead puppy at her feet, is talking to me, but all I can think about is that I shouldn't have agreed to this. I should've stayed home and lock myself up in my room, even though it feels like it isn't mine anymore. Forget that I have the world to face, forget that this all is real, forget that my parents can't look at my face without a look of pure concern, disapproval, and suffering slashed across their faces.

It feels like I haven't been here since forever. They already told the whole world about what happened to me. The tragedy. But the way they talked about me and my previous life makes my skin crawl.

The way they talked about him makes me want to explode and shatter. He is the villain. The savage that ripped me away from my life and shredded me to pieces.

I am the victim. The vulnerable girl that barely got away with her life.

They are the media. Society. The people that just have me here to basically confirm all the facts and who can't just wait for the juicy oh so juicy and tragic details.

The woman begins talking again and I want to crawl to a corner. The lights overhead and behind the gawking cameras are too bright and her eyes are too big. I don't like it.  "Tell me, Raven," she begins in her chirpy yet formal voice.

"How did you feel when you were first taken hostage by that abhorrent monster?" My heart throbs a little. "What went through your mind?"

My hands begin to sweat a cold, clammy sweat and it takes me a whole of almost five seconds to answer. I couldn't stop thinking about what she just called him. He would've probably deadpanned with how smiling so much will bring terrible wrinkles and face ache. "Mostly fear..." I  try to shrug, "Shock...panic..."

The woman, who goes by Stacey, nods comprehensively. "I can't begin to imagine how awful it must've been for you there." She says. You have no idea. "We know that he didn't have anyone else captive. Only you. Am I right?"

I nod. "Only me." 

"You didn't have any signs of physical abuse when they found you, but the doctors believe it  is mental..." she trails for me to catch on.

I want to tell her she can tell me I experienced the controversial Stockholm syndrome, like everyone else does, but I don't because I know I didn't. 

"I don't know. It might be." I answer. Yet  in all honesty, I don't want her to go there. I don't want to recall anything that happened. I really don't. The only person I'd be willing to talk about all of this is my therapist.

I am supposed to see her tomorrow.

I don't see the point for any of this.

But apparently, the whole state, probably the whole country, is talking about me.

Stacey nods again and smiles. "Well, we are relieved to find out you are alive and well." she says, then holds two fingers to her ear, listening to something and barely nodding. "We're stopping here because I know how it must be for you to be here and talk about such sensitive and premature subject." she smiles again. "I am getting that you are coming back to talk about this in more depth."

I really hope that was mom who called to get me out of here. I feel like throwing up. Never the less, I nod and the words are barely audible, "Thank you for, um,  having me here."

Stacey's smile widens. "Thank you for coming, Raven. It is a miracle that you are alive and we couldn't be more glad."

The gawking, taunting cameras leave my face, turning to Stacey who begins to talk about the following news.

I couldn't feel more relieved.

Someone is telling me to get up and go to them.

I do that, and the next thing I know, my mom crashes against me and puts her arms around me, hugging me tight. 

"They were so curious about you. I told them not to mention any of what happened. But that's impossible, isn't it? It's the reason why you're here." she tells me desperately and pulls away. "I'm sorry—"

"I'm fine, mom. Don't worry." I tell her and she begins to drag me out of the building and through the double doors with two three officers following close behind.

Suddenly, the first thing I see are cameras. They are everywhere. Panic like no other runs through my veins  as they flash and make clicking noises. There are voices, eager and loud. I grip mom's arm like my life depends on it and bow my head because I don't know what else to do. People are around mom and I. They're shouting questions all at once, pushing against each other with their ordinary microphones and formal clothes, crazy for answers. 

I am being ducked under my mother's arm. She's screaming as we make our way through them. Telling them to get away.

I want to disappear.

I want to run.

_______________________________________

A/N:

I'm soooo excited for this new story! Hopefully it goes along as planned <3 Soooo sorry for the lack of updates. These past few months have been all about studying for finals.

Thank you for being patient.

If you read any of my other stories, Deadly Rapunzel is next. x

Lots of love,

- nessie xoxo