“You'll stay with me?”

“For as long as you want, petite, and if you don't like it, we'll leave together.”

She nodded, pushing a strand of white hair behind her ear,

“Then let's go.”

The door opened before they even knocked but Remy wasn't really surprised, this place was owned by a telepath, after all.

“Mr LeBeau, how nice to meet you, finally. And this must be Storm. Welcome.” He turned away and they followed after him, a little disconcerted at his welcome. “I've had rooms made up for you. Although it's against regulations, I've given you adjoining rooms in the staff quarters, until you decide that you'd like to join the other students.”

Even if he was a telepath, he must be incredibly strong to be able to tell that they were coming, Remy reasoned. Perhaps even strong enough to help Storm with her missing memories.

“I'll do my best,” Xavier assured him, turning to face them now that they had entered what looked like an office.

“I don't like it when you read my mind,” Remy said stiffly.

“And ordinarily, I wouldn't do so without permission, but I'm afraid that you are both broadcasting rather loudly. I'm sure it's nerves and that once you have calmed down and had a chance to settle in, your thoughts will be much quieter. Please, take a seat.”

Remy sat down on the desk chairs that Charles had indicated and Storm sat beside him. Charles spoke mainly to Storm, explaining about the school and how he might be able to help her regain her memories. Once she had relaxed, he suggested that she might like a tour with one of the students. She looked to Remy for permission.

He smiled. “Go scope the place out for us.” He winked which made her smile.

Xavier called another student, someone named Jean, and Storm happily left the office with the other girl.

“You're very good with her,” Charles said once they were alone.

“She's easy to be good to,” Remy brushed the compliment aside.

Charles gave him a look but didn't comment.

“So what're the fees?” Remy asked.

“No fees,” Charles explained. “Only those who can afford it need pay.”

“I can afford it,” Remy bristled.

“Perhaps, but we both know that your gains are a little, shall we say, ill gotten?”

Remy conceded the point gracefully, after all, he wasn't ashamed of what he did. “My money's not good enough for you?”

“Not at all, I simply don't wish to receive fees from illegal sources. As I'm sure you can understand, we are a school for mutants, we can't afford to take any chances.”

“You're worried I'll bring the wrong sort of people here?”

“Not at all,” Charles tried to smile reassuringly. “At the moment we are simply a prep school for gifted children but eventually, word will spread that we are actually a school for mutants. When that happens, certain powers will do whatever they can to bring us down, and I would rather not give them any ammunition.”

Remy couldn't argue with that logic.

“So where do I fit in?” Remy asked.

“Where ever you want, but I would be obliged if you would consider a teaching position.”

Remy looked around the office, feeling uncomfortable.

“I'm not really the kind to put down roots.” He had the feeling that Charles didn't believe him, but it was the truth.