I nod, but I still have a question. "Where exactly is the document I'm supposed to find?"

"It should be on a desk somewhere," he replies, "but just know that the document you're looking for has the seal of a red bat."

Grabbing the shoes, the keys, and stowing the proffered knife in the pocket of my hoodie I say, "Ok, take me there."

He nods and holds out his hand for me to take. I hesitate a moment then grab his hand. He squeezes my palm against his and pulls me along. We get outside and climb into a gray car. Apparently, the limo would be too conspicuous.

I drop his hand as we get seated. Thomas is behind the wheel and I'm situated in the passenger seat. He puts the key in the ignition but stops just before turning the car on.

Thomas turns towards me, "As soon as you're done come to this car. I'll be parked two houses away."

Thomas starts the car and we lurch off. We're silent as he drives, but it's not awkward, I feel almost relaxed.

I start fiddling with my hand and try not to think of the endless possibilities of something going wrong.

What if I mess up or someone catches me?

Or what if something happens to me?

Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?

Thomas clears his throat and says, "We're here."

I look out the window. We are in front of a two-story house, painted a deep shade of brown. The house has a balcony, two large windows on each story, and a cherry red door. It is a beautiful house, it looks quite grand, like something I would have never been able to afford before.

Thomas broke me from my thoughts by saying, "Quite a beautiful house, isn't it."

I nod silently.

"Are you ready?" Thomas asks.

I nod again and take off my seat belt. I start opening the door, but Thomas' voice stops me.

"Wait," he says, his hand grabbing mine.

I stop and turn to look at him. He casually runs a hand through his soft looking hair and says, "Look, I just wanted to say I really appreciate you doing this for me. I would have done it myself, but let's just say some complications arose."

I give him a tiny smile and say, "It's all right, Thomas. I was getting bored of the palace already, a little breaking and entering should fix that."

He lets out a light laugh and carefully pushes the door open, his arm stretched over my body.

I step out he smiles. "Good luck, Ava, you got this. I'll be right over there."

I nod and, giving him a quick smile, close the door.

I walk over to the door of the house and pretending I belong, slide the key in and carefully push open the door.

I take a moment to analyze my surroundings. The interior of the house is even more beautiful. But it has a certain feel to it, it's not exactly home sweet home. The house doesn't have an exactly cozy feeling, but it looks like it's ready for a photoshoot.

Everything just looks so perfect.

Hesitantly, I take a step forward and sigh in relief when I don't make a sound.

I tiptoe around the furniture looking for a desk. The kitchen counter has some papers but none of them have the seal Thomas is looking for.

There seems to be nothing on the first floor so I carefully walk up the stairs to the second story.

I immediately see four doors. I open one and peek in, it's a gym. Closing the door, I move on to the next room. It has one bed and a bookshelf, nothing else. The next one is a bedroom, there's a king bed in the middle, clothes strewn across the floor, and another bookshelf.

But what really catches my eye is the table covered with papers.

I quietly walk in and over to the desk and start flipping through the papers, and then I see it, the paper with the red seal Thomas described.

Grabbing it, I sigh in relief, I can finally leave this house. Just as I'm about to step out the door, I hear a noise. I look down the stairs there's a middle-aged man humming to himself.

Shit. He hasn't seen me yet. What did Thomas say again?

Oh yeah, HIDE.

I run back into the room and look around. The closet is locked, the desk is too open, I would be easily spotted, and the bed is too low, I could never squeeze under there. The balcony. Running to it, I carefully open the doors and quickly close them. I hide behind one of the plants set up in the corner.

This will have to do for now. I make myself comfortable, fidgeting around. I resign myself to waiting until he falls asleep so I can somehow sneak out.

I sit there in the cold winter air nothing to occupy me but my thoughts.

A while later, a loud noise brings me out of my light doze. Unable to remember when I fell asleep, I shake out my limbs, trying to warm up. I look through the window; the man has settled in his bed and is watching some type of reality TV.

How long have I been here? Shit. What about Thomas? He probably thinks something happened to me. Well, there's nothing I can do now except to wait until this man falls asleep.

Holding tightly onto the document I start to doze off when suddenly I hear: "Psst, psst, Ava over here."

I turn around and notice the man is still engrossed in his TV show. I crawl over to the end of the balcony and look down and see Thomas standing there next to a giant mattress like thing.

"Thomas, what are you doing here," I ask, being careful not to speak too loudly.

He replies and says, "I'm here to save you, what else."

"Uhh, what exactly are you going to do," I ask.

He smiles and says, "You're going to jump off the balcony and I'll catch or the mattress will."

"I'm not sure that's safe," I say.

He shakes his head and says, "You'll be fine. Come on, jump, nothing is going to happen, Ava."

I look down, unsure of what to do, it's a long way down.

"Come on, Ava, jump," Thomas urges.

I jump.

Authors note

Oh god hopefully Ava doesn't die, hope you liked this chapter.

It's longer that usual, I'm awesome right.

Have a great week everyone, it's almost spring break who else is excited.

I just want to sleep in, I love my sleep.

Ok bye I'll stop rambling.