Chapter 12

Edited by TenYearOdyssey

Ava’s POV

I sit on the bed unsure of what to do. Do I go after him or let him be? I don't understand why, but it hurt when he left. Did I do something wrong?

Clearing my head of my misguided thoughts, I slowly get up and head back downstairs.

The king looks up and frowns, "Where is Thomas, Ava?"

"Uhh, he wasn't in his room so I didn't know where to look," I say. I'm not sure if Thomas would want me to tell his father he was crying.

The king's frown deepens and he says, "I'm sorry Ava, my son's a bit...troublesome."

I nod and reply a noncommittal, "It's ok."

Because I had finished my breakfast earlier, I'm sure what exactly to do, so I just stand there awkwardly. I shift my feet from one to the other and clasp and unclasp my hands.

Standing up, the queen says, "Ava, since you are too be the future queen, I have brought down a few books for you too read. They're important, so don't skim through them. I know they're long, but unfortunately, you must read them."

I nod and reply, "Of course, my queen."

She lets out a twinkling laugh and replies, "Oh, don't call me that, it's too formal."

I nod and take the books from her outstretched hands. She gives me a kind smile as I hold the books tightly to my chest. Just as I'm about to leave, Thomas enters the room. His beautiful irises land on me for a split second before he looks away.

Hurt blooms in my chest but I push it away. I will not let him get to me.

The king breaks the silence, "Thomas, where were you?"

Thomas rolls his bottom lip between his teeth for a moment, no doubt thinking for an excuse before saying, "Just in my room, I had to go to the bathroom so Ava came down here."

The king eyebrows arched as he asks, "Is that so?"

Oh shit! Trying to make it seem as though we weren't lying I say, "Er, Your Majesty what I meant was...that Thomas wasn't in his room...because he was in the bathroom."

He smirks at me and with that, I realize just how much he looks like Thomas. Sometimes I forget that they are related. Maybe I forget because Thomas barely shows any affection to his father or maybe it's because the king just seems different than Thomas.

The king's voice breaks me out of my thoughts. "So, you didn't know where to look, but you knew Thomas was in the bathroom?"

I turn beet red and look at my hands, unsure what to say. Then I hear the queens voice as she says, "Oh that's enough James, just let the poor girl be."

The king kisses his wife on the cheek and, turning to me, says, "It's alright dear, I was just joking around."

I nod my head quickly and flash him a quick smile, and say, "May I be excused? I'd like to read the book the queen gave me."

Before the king or queen can say anything, Thomas interrupts, "Actually Ava, I was hoping you would come with me, I've been meaning to talk to you."

Oh, now he wants to talk to me, but before he just wanted to walk away and leave me there. Well, alright then. Moody boy.

But, I don't say anything, I simply nod. He walks out the door with me trailing behind him.

As soon as we're outside he halts and turns to me and says, "Do you trust me?"

I freeze. Did I trust him?

Thomas chuckles nervously and says, "Well, of course, you don't. How can I expect you to, considering the fight we had a few days ago, it wouldn't make sense."

I wish I could tell him that I trusted him, the raw pain on his face hurts. But how can I when I don't even know? I don't know if I trust him. On one hand, he's almost always been nice to me. On the other, those phone calls make me wary of him. Plus, there's the fact I barely know anything about him, yet I can't help but be drawn to him. There's just something there, but I don't quite understand it.

So I tell him the truth and say, "I don't trust you yet, but I'm beginning to, you're not such a bad guy."

He smiles and says, "You're not so bad yourself, " suddenly, all trace of joking around is gone from his voice and he adds, "I trust you even though my rational thoughts tell me not too."

I blush a beet red and look at the ground. Thomas tilts my face up his own. His soft fingers burn my skin and he says, "I need you to do something for me, no questions asked."

"You're not asking me to kill someone right," I say. I'm serious.

Thomas laugh and replies, "Of course not. It's not anything that bad, it wouldn't hurt anyone, it will just help me."

I look at him, confused. "Then why can't you tell me," I ask.

He frowns and runs his fingers through his hair. "It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just I'm not sure I can."

My confusion must show on my face because he says, "It's complicated I just need you to trust me. Can you do that?"

I nod slowly.

Authors note

Ouuuu what do you think he's going to ask her to do, nothing bad hopefully.

Anddddddddd we reached a 1000 reads, whattt I can't thank you guys enough it means the world to me. 

I'll just be over here doing my happy dance.

Thank you to all the people who supported me it means a lottt, you guys just don't understand how much it means to me.

Any who I promise to update soon can't keep you guys waiting forever. And who likes the new picture idea, raises a hand me.

Im so sad at least thomas has ava my crush went and got a girlfriend 😭😭😭

That's all 

Bye have a great day and weekend.