― iv. the colour pink

Start from the beginning

"Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to do so, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"No, but surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells."

"I'm afraid you're not qualified to decide what the 'whole point' of any class is," said Umbridge, voice as sweet as ever. "Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study. You will be focused on the theory of defensive spells and will be learning in a secure, risk-free way—"

"Oh, no..." Ron groaned to Edelyn as Harry abruptly spoke, "And what use is that? If we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a risk-free way...And what good is theory going to be in the real world?"

Edelyn felt dizzy, neck strained as her eyes snapped back and forth between Harry and Professor Umbridge. For the most part, she thought he was simply itching for detention, but then he spoke words that made the air rip from her lungs. 

"So, according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?"

There was a collective intake of breath from the class.

Edelyn stared at her desk. She felt as though a knife had just stabbed her hard in the chest, twisting and turning until crimson seeped through her skin, and at the cold words that then tumbled out of Umbridge's mouth, her blood caught on fire.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident."

There was the loud scraping of a chair against the wooden floor beneath and Edelyn leapt to her feet. "How dare you!"

"Miss Black, I understand that this matter is quite sensitive, but the Ministry of Magic has deemed it an a—."

"It wasn't an accident!" she shouted. "It was murder. You-Know-Who killed Cedric and you know it!" Edelyn's eyes narrowed, knuckles white. "Saying anything less is just a disgrace to his memory. The Ministry should be ashamed... Ashamed that they're less brave than a fifteen-year-old boy who already had to face him and fight him. You're all just too cowardly to accept the truth, and it's pathetic."

Her body was shaking in fury. For a moment, Edelyn half expected Umbridge to draw her wand, but instead, she said in her softest, most sweetly girlish voice, "Come here, Miss Black. You too, Mr Potter."

The rest of the class sat at the edge of their seats as Harry and Edelyn made their way up to Umbridge's desk. The Professor pulled out a roll of pink parchment and scribbled something on it with her quill. She then rolled it up and tapped it with her wand to seal it. "Take this to Professor McGonagall, dears," she said, holding out the note to Harry.

Jaw clenched, Harry snatched it from her stubby fingers and he and Edelyn wasted no time in leaving, the latter slamming the door behind them. 

"What a foul pink toad..." Ron grumbled under his breath. 

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Detention with Umbridge every evening this week?" By the expression on Ron's face, one would have thought Harry and Edelyn were disguised as Inferi. "Bloody hell..." he mumbled. 

The news of their shouting match with Professor Umbridge had travelled exceptionally fast, and they could already hear the gossiping whispers as students filed into the Great Hall for supper. None of these 'whisperers', however, seemed to mind them overhearing what they were saying.