Chapter 57: Search

Start from the beginning

Team Magma. What a ridiculous name. Why organizations with dirty backgrounds had to have titles that seemed to be invented by preschoolers was beyond me. 

Still, they had kidnapped Dawn and, even if they'd been defeated before, they still existed and seemed capable of more than I thought possible.  

I couldn't really think of reasons why Team Magma would want to take Dawn or even our Pokemon considering I'd heard Team Magma hated Water type Pokemon and commonly kept to using specific Pokemon, such as Fire and Ground types. Why they'd taken our Pokemon, especially knowing that Piplup was a Water type, was still a mystery. 

I decided I'd wait until I had more information before jumping to conclusions as I walked through the forest, hoping each step was bringing me closer to Dawn.

I walked all day, not stopping to rest. I was sore from running with my Pokemon past my limitations and my side hurt from being rammed into. My stomach growled from hunger, but I ignored it until Bagon pointed out a berry tree. 

Upon further inspection, I realized it was a Pecha Berry tree and tried not to inhale the scent, forcing my heart to slow down and my brain to stay calm as thoughts of Dawn, scared and surrounded by Team Magma, surfaced. 

I grabbed a handful of berries, handing them to Bagon. They wouldn't restore much health considering they were supposed to be used to cure poisoning, but it would still give him strength. I plucked a few for myself, needing them for energy, almost hating the sweet taste. Until I retrieved Dawn, all things related to her would be burning, aching reminders that I'd let her down- not only by my answer, but by letting her be taken and hurt by absolute strangers who did not have good intentions for her. 

I would not lose Dawn. 

It was nightfall and I'd been walking all day, beginning to panic about my lack of progress. I couldn't fail. Failure was unacceptable. It had always been unacceptable, but this time the stakes were higher than I'd ever had them. 

I could not lose Dawn. 

A flickering light to my left grabbed my attention. I crept closer to the source, gripping Bagon tightly to my chest, using the foliage to shield our approach. I stared at the source of the light which came from a small outbreak of trees near a cliff to my left. Straight ahead was a mountain-like wall of rock. I saw the entrance to a cave in the center. Directly in between us and the cave was a campfire. I could hear the sound of people talking quietly. They all were frustrated and talking at the same time, making it hard to decipher their words. 

Peeking over the leaves of a bush, I saw a group of about ten Team Magma members, all standing and discussing something that seemed important. 

"Shut up!" a man barked, causing the rest to fall silent. A Houndoom stood next to him, its shackles raised. The same Houndoom from before. I guessed its Trainer was the leader of the group, "If you don't like my plan, then go disband with the rest of the vermin who dared call themselves a part of Team Magma. Just because our plan with Groudon didn't work years ago doesn't mean our plans will fail this time." 

"But sir, kidnapping an innocent girl?" A boy that seemed approximately my age spoke, seeming extremely nervous. 

"Tom, when you joined, you swore you'd do anything for Team Magma to equalize both the land and sea. Are you telling me that you've changed your mind on a lifetime promise?" The leader squared his shoulders threateningly. 

"N-no, it's just... it feels wrong." Tom stuttered. 

"I see." 

Everyone around the fire ceased talking as their leader stared with cold eyes at Tom, who avoided them, shivering.