Chapter 15- Shouldn't Care..

The crowd gasps as they figure it out. There are two couples from District Twelve. My reaction? Hsbancbakxbak!! That's all my brain could think. I couldn't compose my thoughts or my face as I gapped at him. I see the cameras zoom in on me and my face is tomato red. My mouth hangs open and I just stare at him.

"I see. It seems we are in for a treat this year to see how these star-crossed lovers will survive. Best of luck to you, Jay Keene."

Jay, whose face is as red as mine, murmurs thanks before taking his seat by me. I just look at him with my mouth hanging open. I can think but I can't say anything or hardly breathe.

I need to think about this but I shouldn't act like Katniss. I look around at the rest of the tributes around me and realize something. The Hunger Games tears friends and families apart. Just looking at all of these people about to go against the ones they love. Cato and Atlas. Titus and Althea. Zaavia whose family was already ripped apart. Katniss and Peeta. And, apparently, Jay and me.

After the anthem, we're sent onto the elevators. I don't say a word to Jay or look at him on the way. I know he just did it for show but he could have told me first. But, I guess that would have ruined my reaction because I'm not a good actress. I was a tree in our Wizard of Oz play. I fell over and lost a few of my branches. I didn't even have to talk and I still sucked. For some reason I feel like I belong more to the Hunger Games world than the real one.

Wait... Usually I would have slipped into a memory at that point. What gives? I guess it could help me sometimes, but now I get no help.

I see Katniss beside me, smoke almost coming from her ears. I know what's about to happen and I know I'm not afraid to change things anymore. So when the elevator opens and we see Peeta stepping off, everything moves in slow motion. Katniss is moving forward in a rage and I step between her and Peeta.

The world suddenly speeds up again as I'm knocked against an urn. My hands hit it like Peeta's should have and blood comes from little cuts on them. I suck in a sharp breath. That felt worse than it is. But I'm just glad it wasn't worse. From where Peeta was standing he would have hit it at just the angle to get cut worse.

"Dot!" Jay screams as Katniss looks between me and Peeta. Her eyes are wide as she realizes what she's just done. Jay rushes forward and starts to check my hands. I wince as he pulls a tiny shard from my palm. Peeta looks at me as it dawns on him what I just did. This wouldn't change everything... Would it?

Suddenly, Effie, Haymitch, Cinna, and Portia are there. They're asking what happened and trying to help me up.

"What's going on?" Effie asks. "Did you fall?"

"Yes." I say, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Dot.. I'm so sorry. I pushed her." Katniss says.

"Pushed her?" Haymitch asks.

"I meant to push Peeta..." she says, her attention turning back to him where she slaps him.

"What was that for?" he asks, holding his cheek.

Then they get into this huge argument that I had been trying to avoid. I sigh as Jay continues carefully pulling small shards from my hands.

I jerk my head up when Haymitch said, "Blye didn't have a problem with it!" Oh no! Don't bring me into this! I shifted to where I was hidden behind Jay. Finally the argument starts to dwindle as Katniss realizes they're right.

Katniss finally turns to me. "I'm sorry, Dot." Haymitch makes a noise and she turns to Peeta, her eyes narrowing a bit. "I'm sorry I tried to shove you."