CHAPTER IX. PT I. - The Path of Threats

The hospital bed was empty, with Jemma's stuff left behind. Dan stood there, unable to move nor speak. For once, he looked so helpless. For once, all his emotions mixed together into a fist and continuously hitting him right in the feels. James saw the sadness in his eyes, his thoughts of finally finishing this and being happy again together with Jemma has been taken away from him. Now he's just so upset to accept she's captured and he might not be able to find Jemma. James and Justin saw how helpless he was, as he cried into James' shoulder. James didn't mind, since then— he always wanted Dan to cry on his shoulder after all that has happened to him. After all that has happened on his cases. The room was filled with Dan's sob. After that, he sat on Jemma's bed— and started to think. "So, what do we do now?" Dan's bloodshot eyes stared at Justin, who sighed. "Dan, I think we have to leave this job to the police. The real police rather. It's better in that way."

"And let them find Jemma until a few months pass?"

"Dan," James said, "I know you don't trust Officer Martin Jones sometimes, but please— for our sake, our Jemma and for yours— let him find Jemma."

A tear escaped from Dan's left eye, I saw the mix of emotions roaring in his friend's expressions— it was a mix of fear, anger and guilt. One split mistake and Dan would be dead. Dan grabbed his phone and gave it to me, the number already typed in.

639989018756

I called the number, "Hello?" I ask.

"Hello, good morning. This is—"

"Oh um, good morning. I need to speak to Officer Martin Jones."

"Oh!" the man said, "Well that's me. You're a new voice, isn't Dan the one calling on this number?"

"Well Mr. Jones, Dan has lost Jemma— so he might not be able to talk without bursting into tears."

"Wait, Jemma Middleton is dead?"

"What, no! She's just— apparently — kidnapped! Can you find her for us?"

"Well," Mr. Jones' voice came to a pause, "we could, but it also requires collaborative effort from you guys."

"I understand, sir. Thank you." I said, and the call hang up.

I looked at Dan, who still had those bloodshot eyes on me. I cleared the silence, "Apparently Officer Jones needed some help with the finding, but they'll find her too as well. Don't worry Dan, Jemma's going to be found." Dan nodded, not being able to speak. God, I miss his smile. I thought to myself, all these months Dan hasn't smiled. Not even once! Couple of hours later after paying the hospital bill, we went on our way back to Dan's house. Chilling him up for a bit and being there for him, probably bring down a blanket for him and some hot chocolate (Dan's personal favourite besides tea) for him to drink. Dan was alone, he needed someone to comfort him (as if acting like Cumberbatch in that detective show on the telly.) When we arrived at home, me and Justin followed Dan to his room; as he starts to mess things up. He was searching for something, "What do you think you're doing?" Justin came to him and stopped him from what he's doing. "I'm trying to solve Jemma's case! By finding out any possible—"

"Actually, you're solving it by flooding your office with paperworks. Look Dan, you're not okay." Justin said.

"Look Justin, I am okay." Dan insisted.

"We can solve this out Dan, we promise. But for now, you have to relax and clear your mind so you can focus." I assured, Dan seemed to retreat so we made the move.

"Justin, grab him!" I said, Justin got out the blanket and caught him in that blanket. The blanket was wrapped around him like a cocoon, so he can't escape. Dan whined, but we just put him on the sofa downstairs. I quickly brewed some tea while quietly laughing at how his friend is acting right now. I then brought it to Dan, who was quietly lying on the sofa.