Chapter Fifteen: Bat out of Hell

Start from the beginning

Gabriel and I sat in his father's truck while parked on the curb near the border of Rayers town, just behind the welcome sign that was enough to hide our faces and actions. The sun was barely out from behind the trees, and my breath still could be seen in the air; unfortunately the old truck heating system weren't as good either.

"I heard yelling last night." Gabriel broke the ice, figuratively, unfortunately not even his deep voice could warm up the truck. The thing is, I rather stay in the frozen box than go home or even school. "You and Joyce..."

"More like Aunt and Joyce and her mother. My grandmother decided to pay a visit, which only makes the timing worse since I have least than a week before the FBI comes. I can't do my investigation if I have two pairs of eyes on me."

"Why did she come?"

I shrugged my shoulders, it was one question I dare not to ask since Aunt Joyce was too angry. "I have no idea and I won't know. Something is off about that woman, both of her children hated her and mom paid her off so she wouldn't come close to me."

"It's really for the best anyway." Gabriel started the old engine, it coughed several times before it actually got its shit together. "Do you want to go to the Winter dance?" Why was the question even more awkward in my head? Gabriel never went to the dances, he barely went to the games but his father drags him out the house.

I chuckled lightly at his sudden need of a normal romance. "You're surprising me everyday Watson." His cheeks burned red when he stepped out his comfort zone to only be teased. I sighed in content before leaning over and kissing the corner of his mouth. "I would love to go to the dance with you."

The red hue on his cheeks slowly disappeared as the feeling of relief rain over him. It must be nice. It seem like everywhere I turn I expect to find one good thing that would bring me such comfort, but it's only horror around that hall.

The site of school on a regular basis was its own horror film, but the site of our classmates crowded around the flag pole while looking up into the sky to see the mediocrity that their fellow jocks did the vet night was its own sick horror. The school flag of our only true rivals, along with a dirty picture of their cheer captain naked and exposed- child pornography. I turned away in disgust and walked inside the school building, Gabriel close behind with a smirk upon his face; of course he found it hilarious; I've forgotten about his sick humor that he tried to lock away but it keeps slipping out.

The pink and purple decorations were sill hanging over our heads, the color coordination did not remotely match the theme of the dance nor the school colors, it was all for fun to promote a different party- Tanya's party. Her parents couldn't have picked a perfect time to go on a week long trip to an island with not easy accessed phone service. How stupid and selfish can they be, knowing the killer was still on the loose? It doesn't matter now, her party was still going on Saturday night.

The large crowd of people practically ran inside when security, and Principal Brown ran outside to stop the nonsense of their foolish students that act like children without authority. Katy being one of those hoodlums, full of excitement, smiling from ear to ear. "I think you've corrupted her." Gabriel comment as the innocent church girl gave me a wide hug, he wasn't the only one that was pushed out of their comfort zone. "I'm gonna go to class."

"Wait," I grabbed his hand and pulled him down into a quick form of affection. I can admit, showing affection in front of these glaring eyes and curious gazes was exciting. "We should skip lunch." Okay, what was that?... Was I applying that we skip forty minutes of lunch to have sex in the back of his father's truck in the middle of the words? Hell yes! Was it odd of me to act like a horny cheerleader that wanted to make out behind the bleachers? Definitely. Did Gabriel care? Fuck no. Gabriel caressed my cheek and gave me a simple wink, it screamed out his answer.